Hillbilly Housewife site

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Using margarine never makes sense once you understand that it is only one molecule away from being a plastic.

This is what I learned in my clinical nutrition course.
It TASTES like plastic too!

I normally buy the "spreadable" butter - I really need to figure out how much oil or whatever they add to make it spreadable.

(my 5 year old likes to dip her finger in and eat the darn stuff - so I'm darn sure to keep the best to my knowledge or nothing at all)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
hoosier girl said:
I wondered about freezing butter...how it would be after it thawed out. The local Walmart here runs a sale on the 'no name' butter every once in a while for $2.00 a pound. Next time it goes on sale, I'll get extra and put it in the freezer. How long will it keep in the freezer without changing the taste/quality?
I have frozen the Walmart brand before for a long period of time & had no problems with it(in fact I have some in my freezer right now). I have done it in & out of ziplock bags(4 thicker packages to a gal bag) & no difference really. Once thawed it is fine to taste & texture. Like I said I stock up on it during the holidays like crazy & then to help it strech I buy a package a month so I don't use up all my stock right away & have to buy it every 2 weeks then. I've never had butter go rancid on me either in my freezer.

simplynewt

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
keljonma said:
The Hillbilly Housewife was started a long time ago by Maggie. She started another site (frugal abundance) and gave up The Hillbilly Housewife site to Susan. So many of the recipes on that site (if not all of them) were posted by Maggie ages ago. You have to remember that she was posting on how to save money in your food budget. For her, not using real butter made sense.

Here is Maggie's new site. As she explains, her family maintains a gluten-free, casein-free diet on a limited budget.....

http://frugalabundance.com/
Again - going through old messages and caame across this. Some pretty good recipes on this site.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate Cool Whip. Bleh. Heavy cream forever!

They make spreadable butter by whipping room temp butter- like, in a Kitchen Aid or similar large appliance, not a hand mixer- and adding a small amount of hot water and dissolved Knox gelatin. I'll see if I can find the exact proportions.

I really like Hillbilly Housewife, but two nutrition profs (different schools, different continents) told me that the only two foods that really need to be avoided are hydrogenated oils and HFCS. So no margarine for me.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
COOL WHIP
Yeah... I was grossed out by the main ingredient being palm oil, not cream. I was eating a spoonfull of the stuff at the time, BTW, but ended up throwing out the tub after reading the ingredient list.

Then I started making my own whipped cream, which is much easier than you think. Sometimes I hand the bowl around the table, so everyone can take a turn whipping.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I looked for the Hillbilly Housewife blog site, and was warned by Mother Google that it had been hacked or something.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went there a couple days ago, got the same 'some pages aren't secure' message. I went in from a bookmarked page and everything was okay. I'm not buying anything so I don't worry about it.