Home made laundry soap

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Would food processor work in grating the soap?

I, too, was wondering how to finely grate soap since I have a blender, mini food processor and good ol cheese grater.

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used a cheese grater and is working fine. I too wondered how a mini food proccessor would work, and when I run out, I'm gonna try it.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have always used a cheese grater, the one I have has 4 sides to it and you can choose the size of the pieces you want to end up with.
I give each of the kids a bar of soap and let them go to town on it.
It really doesn't have to be too finely grated, it dissolves no matter what. I have never opened my washer to see pieces of soap or had my clothes felt soapy either.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For dishwasher people

this works WONDERS and cheap--here it is! I use it and it is a great cleaner.

Dishwasher soap is easy to make, and cost effective. I mix up a batch in an empty canister, and pour it in the dishwasher as needed.

Mix and use per dishwasher load:
1 Tablespoon Borax
1 Tablespoon Baking soda

OR

Mix equal parts Borax and Baking Soda, and add 2 Tablespoons per load. Increase proportion of soda for hard water. Use vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I hated the liquid laundry detergent I made...too hard to store....So I went also with the powdered form and it works great!
Karen

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's great, FarmerChick!

I'll be sharing this with people who have dishwashers, thanks! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hi tutter

yea I got this off a different forum and yes it is great!
anywhere we can save some money and USE less chemicals while living is a plus for me.

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does this laundry soap bleeds colors out of the clothes....like vivid red shirts ended up blah red or pink shirts?

I didnt want to use it if they will bleach or fade colors on clothes..

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with colors fading or bleeding. In fact I stopped using fabric softener when I started using the homemade soap. I mean I have homemade softener too, but I don't seem to need it anymore.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yotetrapper said:
I used a cheese grater and is working fine. I too wondered how a mini food proccessor would work, and when I run out, I'm gonna try it.
I used the chopper but the pieces have to be small to begin with so I went back to the grater. I think the larger food processors with the top loader could handle the whole bar.
lin

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I made this in dry form as well, and LOVE IT!! DH couldn't believe how little I use, and even on his really smelly clothes it works great (I do add a tiny bit more to his loads just for that reason). I also used the Fels Naptha bar straight on my son's t-shirt (had cow poop on it) and it came right out with no problem.

I also use the cheese grater...I think next time I'll use the larger shreds instead of the really fine ones, tho.