Home made laundry soap

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
EweSheep said:
Would food processor work in grating the soap?

I, too, was wondering how to finely grate soap since I have a blender, mini food processor and good ol cheese grater.
I used a food processor--worked great! No scraped knuckles...

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Would be nice if we can wash dishes by hand that way! I dont have a dishwasher.....dont have the size of a kitchen to have one....gallery style! I would like to use a bit of bleach on it too. I use dishwash soap for handsoaps as well.

I will be trying my first load of towels on that new stuff tonight and I can not wait to see how it comes out. Even with toliet training my daughter's accidents on her underpants too!

Had hubby grate the soaps for me.....smells lovely! May not need fabric softener if they dont create "charges" on our clothes!

Wish me luck on my very first trial of this soap!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been talking about this homemade money-saver soap for a week!! Wrote doen the recipe, hung it on the fridge, went to two stores...
Finally got all our ingredients....hubby mixed ALL the boxes of powders and ALL the bar soap into a BIG pail. ("but you said.........")

Now what....is there a way to salvage the $$ all the ingredients cost?

He is at home now trying a load with 2 T mix.

So bummed.:(

But maybe it will be OK.

Harley's Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post (whoohoo) and I just wanted to say.....I love the laundry soap. It is WONDERFUL!!! :old If you have not tried it yet PLEASE go get your supplies. It is SO worth it.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
krjwaj said:
Been talking about this homemade money-saver soap for a week!! Wrote doen the recipe, hung it on the fridge, went to two stores...
Finally got all our ingredients....hubby mixed ALL the boxes of powders and ALL the bar soap into a BIG pail. ("but you said.........")

Now what....is there a way to salvage the $$ all the ingredients cost?

He is at home now trying a load with 2 T mix.

So bummed.:(

But maybe it will be OK.
I agree with The Simple Life. After all, it is just soap--there's got to be a way to adjust things so that it will still result in an effective detergent. Post what went into that bucket--it can be figured out! :D

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I was thinking about this and if you bought a box of each of the powdered ingredients and mixed them both together like you said it would only be a matter of adding more of the bar soap.
If you use both of those boxes its suppose to be 6 bars of grated soap.
So if you didn't use that much then you can add to it, if you somehow used more grated soap I think it will still be fine. An adjustment of more powdered ingredients can always be made.
I bet no matter what your clothes will come out clean.

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
EweSheep said:
I have a very hard time finding washing soda at Wally World...is there any other stores I can try? Or a nice subsitute for washing soda?
Try looking at your "local" grocery store. You can usually find the Fels and Washing Soda there.

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I was thinking about this and if you bought a box of each of the powdered ingredients and mixed them both together like you said it would only be a matter of adding more of the bar soap.
If you use both of those boxes its suppose to be 6 bars of grated soap.
So if you didn't use that much then you can add to it, if you somehow used more grated soap I think it will still be fine. An adjustment of more powdered ingredients can always be made.
I bet no matter what your clothes will come out clean.
I agree, if everything was mixed together, it would be a matter of just adding in more of the Fels to bring it up to the "bulk" amounts of the powders.

But hey, now that I'm thinking about it, this seems like a great way to make the laundry soap! Mix it all up once and it'll last forever!

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here's another pointer. This laundry soap can eventually cause buildup on your clothes. To prevent (or remove) this, use vinegar in your rinse cycle. I use vinegar in every load, in the fabric softener cup. Works perfectly as a softener!

To reduce static ..... use felted wool balls in the dryer.

Latest posts