Homemade Christmas gifts

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw these adorable egg plants on redenvelope.com today and thought they would make cute homemade Christmas gifts. I'm not sure how to stick them to the base, but I'm guessing a little wax or something would do the trick.

1119_egg_plants.jpg

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Last year most folks got homemade food baskets. I catered it to what they like. I added a couple of ornaments, and holiday candy. My daughter and I also get together and bake cookies, or sometimes we each bake cookies at our own house, then we share them and use them as gifts on plates I get at goodwill. This year I am dehydrating a lot of stuff, it will make it easier to mail. I have made lavender salt and plan on making a few other seasoning mixes that are listed here and on sister forums. I also gift seeds. This year I am taking photos of the plants, so I can put the picture with the seeds.
I also grow luffa, so some folks get a bath basket, with salts and oils and homemade soap.
I have also considered a fireplace basket, using pinecones, lavender and oregano stick bundles, toilet paper tube firestarters (toilet paper tubes stuffed with lint, some candelwax dripped in and wrapped in tissue paper or newspaper, wrapped with string from the feed bags,) and storebought matches. Maybe even add a long candle (cheap from Goodwill) they make great fire lighters. Once you light the candle, you can reach farther into the fireplace and the flame does not go out so easily.
I aslo gift homemade wreath and swags or arrangements.

For my far away nieces I peruse the catalogs and send them something to keep busy before the big day. This pleases my SIL as well as the kids. I leave it up to SIL's discretion as to when to open it. I always let her know in advance what I am sending them. I have sent them snowball making tools, puzzles, indoor bowling game, indoor hopscotch game, refridgerator chistmas scene magnets, and most of the time: arts and crafts kind of stuff, so they can decorate or make gifts.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Last year I knit some body scrubbers out of hemp string. They went into my soap gift baskets. Just a simple square done on large needles. Turned out well.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I can't get a hold of Ann, but this one sounds close to what she makes. Some recipes out there have no egg or use chocolate syrup instead of chocolate extract so there is quite a bit of flexibility with this.

Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream

3 eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1 can condensed sweet milk (Borden's)
12 oz. scotch
1 tsp. chocolate extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla

1) Beat eggs first with a whisk
2) add scotch, chocolate and vanilla extracts
3) slowly add whipping cream
4) slowly add condensed milk
Do you refrigerate this recipe after making it? Thanks!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
essential oils can be purchased at the health food stores

I am pretty sure that does need to be put in the ice box after you make it. I've gotten that as a gift before and I remember it had to be kept cold.

chorechum

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
essential oils are much cheaper in the naturals of order