Homemade Christmas gifts

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This year, Adam and I have decided to make our Christmas gifts. We've decided for the adults we'll make some homemade wine. (The recipe that was given to me from the first time I met our bee group. LOL ).

We bought some mason jars and stopped by the craft store and picked up some red and white plaid(picnic style), I wanted to find red and green plaid, but the country/picnic red and white will be perfectly fine.

For the kids or those who don't drink, I'm thinking of making jarred mixes.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Do you refrigerate this recipe after making it? Thanks!
Yup...keep it in the fridge. It lasts for a long time, but keep it cold since it uses dairy.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
This year, Adam and I have decided to make our Christmas gifts. We've decided for the adults we'll make some homemade wine. (The recipe that was given to me from the first time I met our bee group. LOL ).

We bought some mason jars and stopped by the craft store and picked up some red and white plaid(picnic style), I wanted to find red and green plaid, but the country/picnic red and white will be perfectly fine.

Wine? Is that hard to do?:pop Got a recipe? LOL, between wine and homemade rum....ya'll may not hear from me for months!:gig

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I found a one hour nature craft kit at goodwill for about 50 cents. The kit was nearly complete but sparse. It came with a nice nature crafting book. So I am gathering some more items to add to it, so my 3 nieces can have the materials needed to make more things in the book. I am also making sure that there is 3 of everything (3 nieces).
since I am a crafty sort of person, I already have a lot of the stuff and I can gather some other raw material in the garden.
I got one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes at the post office, so I know what the shipping will cost me. I don't need to make any extra purchases, just pay for the shipping.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
Wolf-Kim said:

Wine? Is that hard to do?:pop Got a recipe? LOL, between wine and homemade rum....ya'll may not hear from me for months!:gig
Not hard to do at all. It's actually a bit of a cheating recipe. ;)

2 qt Welches Grape Juice (We choose the red/purple because it's a pretty color. :p )
2 1/2 gallons of water
1 packet of yeast
6 lbs of sugar

Mix it all in a food safe container.
Cover with a towel. (Do not seal it, because it gives off air as it ferments)
Stir it once the next day, then for the rest of the time let it sit.
We let it ferment for one week.

After a week, we run it through a coffee filter. This takes FOREVER, but Adam being the little genius he is. Set it up to it would drip into the filter at the same pace it was dripping out of the filter. Filtering literally took a few hours. Then, let it sit for another day or so and filter it again(it goes much, MUCH faster this time). Try not to slosh it around, because all this filtering is to remove sediment that settles to the bottom.

Then we simply bottled it up in quart mason jars, put a patch of fabric between the ring and the lid for decoration and viola, homemade wine.

LOL When people ask if it's made with grapes(and they do!) just smile and say "yes, it is homemade grape wine". No need to divulge that you didn't pick the grapes, but rather welches did. ;)

It tastes very good, it's a very sweet wine, probably wouldn't win any awards but we like it. We kept two jars for ourself, one for keepsake and one is in the fridge only 3/4 quarters full as of today. It's funny because when Adam and I are in the kitchen, we'll pull the jar out of the fridge, take a few sips and put it back. We didn't know the other person did it, until we busted eachother doing it! LOL

ETD: Oh! And best to keep it in the house! You want it to stay warm and not freeze. I also suggest remember that it IS grapejuice(AKA it stains! Keep it off carpets!!)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
delia_peterson said:
Wolf-Kim said:

Not hard to do at all. It's actually a bit of a cheating recipe. ;)

2 qt Welches Grape Juice (We choose the red/purple because it's a pretty color. :p )
2 1/2 gallons of water
1 packet of yeast
6 lbs of sugar

Mix it all in a food safe container.
Cover with a towel. (Do not seal it, because it gives off air as it ferments)
Stir it once the next day, then for the rest of the time let it sit.
We let it ferment for one week.

After a week, we run it through a coffee filter. This takes FOREVER, but Adam being the little genius he is. Set it up to it would drip into the filter at the same pace it was dripping out of the filter. Filtering literally took a few hours. Then, let it sit for another day or so and filter it again(it goes much, MUCH faster this time). Try not to slosh it around, because all this filtering is to remove sediment that settles to the bottom.

Then we simply bottled it up in quart mason jars, put a patch of fabric between the ring and the lid for decoration and viola, homemade wine.

LOL When people ask if it's made with grapes(and they do!) just smile and say "yes, it is homemade grape wine". No need to divulge that you didn't pick the grapes, but rather welches did. ;)

It tastes very good, it's a very sweet wine, probably wouldn't win any awards but we like it. We kept two jars for ourself, one for keepsake and one is in the fridge only 3/4 quarters full as of today. It's funny because when Adam and I are in the kitchen, we'll pull the jar out of the fridge, take a few sips and put it back. We didn't know the other person did it, until we busted eachother doing it! LOL
I love this this. Thank you so much for posting the recipe.
:hugs

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh you're welcome. I felt a little sheepish that I had forgotten about this thread and hadn't posted it sooner, especially since someone asked. Today was the first time I remembered I posted here and ventured back. LOL

Latest posts