Homesteading with animals...post a pic!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
BBH your pics are great, I love the cat - so typical, right in front of the fire doing as little as possible.

The horse peeping through the greenery is really cute too!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
True. As much as I enjoy them they are about as worthless as the cat.
Except the brown horse (big brown horse) he is a working (wo)man's horse, but the other two well....they keep my daughter happy.

Thanks Wildsky! That cat is conserving as much energy as possible. I guess he is trying his hand at self sufficiency. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, yeah! That is beauty in it's purest forms.....love each of these pics! That cat is me on a blustery winter weekend.....ahhhhhhhh, the warm fire feels soooooo gooooood! :love

Your horses are all very beautiful as well~wish I had some of those :( . Spinster sheep? Too old to breed? I didn't think they were that old? :hu Get them gals a hubby and make some babies! :D

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, my mistake. I thought you already had the cat on slow roast! :gig

Your animal family is gorgeous! Your dd too!

Is it my imagination or is everyone smiling???

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Oh, yeah! That is beauty in it's purest forms.....love each of these pics! That cat is me on a blustery winter weekend.....ahhhhhhhh, the warm fire feels soooooo gooooood! :love

Your horses are all very beautiful as well~wish I had some of those :( . Spinster sheep? Too old to breed? I didn't think they were that old? :hu Get them gals a hubby and make some babies! :D
Dolly the Border Cheviot is the one who I'm going to breed soon. Poor old Dorothy the Kat is "long in the tooth" and probably is past her prime. Dolly and Dorothy=the double D ranch. :lol:

Each of those silly horses were up for slaughter. Well except for ol' Fabio, he came from a friend in dire straights...but he would have ended up in slaughter b/c he has bad hoof conformation and may be blind in those blue eyes he has. (Please y'all dont tell him what I said!!! He basis his confident nature all on his looks b/c the poor little guy (yeah he prolly has short man's syndrome too) has NO brains!)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My daughter cares for our two old ladies these days.

Kelly (Minadoka S) and Cayenne are two 20 something POA mares that have basically raised my kids. They spend their days eating and basking in the sun now. Nothing but a financial liability.

Yet I would not trade their gentle nickered greeting for a pile of diamonds. They are family.
Here they are Kelly
Kelly%20pony2.JPG

Cayenne
Cayenne%20pony1.JPG

and some City Biddies in summer at my house.
hens296.JPG

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I totally agree. And they are big enough that they have hauled my hiney a few thousand miles as well! Both gals have cataracts these days, but in their prime they made great little show ponies as well.

Cayenne is broke to drive and one time I took her, for a kick to a practice show held by our local "ever so snooty" driving society. She won the Obstacle Driving class that day! On another outing my D1 placed second in a walk trot class at a society horse show in western tack against all English tacked Saddlebreds!

Kelly, who came to us abused, was so broke that my D2 used to ride her with a piece of string on her neck and no bridle. Another time the kids were at a 4-H camp out function where all of the horses were being penned in a corral while dinner was served. One of the horses came after my D2 with intent to harm and Kelly actually intercepted and fought the full sized horse AWAY from my daughter. You can't ask for a better animal than that.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I totally agree. And they are big enough that they have hauled my hiney a few thousand miles as well! Both gals have cataracts these days, but in their prime they made great little show ponies as well.

Cayenne is broke to drive and one time I took her, for a kick to a practice show held by our local "ever so snooty" driving society. She won the Obstacle Driving class that day! On another outing my D1 placed second in a walk trot class at a society horse show in western tack against all English tacked Saddlebreds!

Kelly, who came to us abused, was so broke that my D2 used to ride her with a piece of string on her neck and no bridle. Another time the kids were at a 4-H camp out function where all of the horses were being penned in a corral while dinner was served. One of the horses came after my D2 with intent to harm and Kelly actually intercepted and fought the full sized horse AWAY from my daughter. You can't ask for a better animal than that.
Wow those are such awesome stories, they've earned their lazy days of retirement. (but if they want to take a 6 year old for a spin, I have one of those :p )

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Kelly ESPECIALLY would LOVE that.

She often stands with her head over the fence so the neighbor's kids can "pet" her ... even though they tend to pat her by slapping her on the forehead rather roughly. Both of the mares really adore children.

Maybe someday my D1 will get on the program and "make" them some new playmates! ;)