Homesteading with animals...post a pic!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am keeping my hens as a food resource.

I eat their eggs and will after a couple years service eat them as well. Even though I do not keep a rooster (since I am a city farmer) I do know where I can borrow at least one for a time and I own an incubator. So if I was ever unable to buy replacement chickens I could raise my own. It would be a lot better if I could do this with a closed flock, but you take what you can get sometimes. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
So, free.....are you doing it for food independence, profit or pleasure? Or all three?
Food independence....for me, that means not voting with my dollars for food raised in cruelty. Pleasure, because I find all the chores involved much cheaper than psychotherapy!!!!

Profit? What's that?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farm, I lost my first hens to predators sometime this past week. Two of my best just disappeared....assuming it is hawks, as nothing else would or could breech the dog barrier.

I had worried this roo was too quiet and docile. I will be searching for another good roo, hopefully a RIR, and hope he will be more vigilant than dear Toby. :fl

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Here is a pic of one of my LGD dogs, she is retired that is why she is smiling! :D "Big Jane" aka Jane Doe.

912_big_carrots_rabbit_and_chickens_sept_09_085.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
She is fuzzily beautiful, BBH! And your sheeples and horse are lovely also.....post a pic of them, also? They are kind of out of focus behind your lovely old dear.... :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey...wanna hear something ironic? The new nurse in my office is a Shaklee's distributor! :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Bee :( too bad about your hennies.

If you had that green house up and running you could brood some new ones in there and have them ready to lay by spring. Too bad you don't live closer to Quail. I am sure SHE could fix you right up! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd like a RIR, Barnvelder, or Speckled Sussex roo....any of those will do. I think I'll have to settle for the more common fellow, RIR.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well since you twisted my arm Bee, here are a few shots of my crew:

Yeah he isn't pulling in any profit and will be culled soon, serving him for Tgiving I think.
:
912_duplicates_etc_060.jpg

Here are the spinster sisters:
912_garden_markers_2_037.jpg

This one thinks he is God's gift to the women :rolleyes: :
912_sending_to_mom_3_012.jpg

Here is my 4 wheel drive JEEP and his girlfriend the spinster sheep:
912_garden_markers_2_001.jpg

Oh and we cant forget the princesses:
912_sending_to_mom_3_007.jpg