Homesteading with animals...post a pic!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Morning DL,

She is a St. Bernard mostly. She was picked up as a stray 10 years ago. BEST dog I've ever had. :) She only has 1/2 of a mask, the other side of her face is white like a beluga whale. Lemme see if I can find more photos.

ETA: Here she is a few years back dressed up as a reindeer, she was not happy:
912_000_0977.jpg

POA ponies are the most wonderful ponies, stout enough to hold up grown ups, smart and very level headed. You can't find one listed on craigslist these days for anything less than $1000, most are listed at $3500....IN THIS ECONOMY!!!

How old are those POA girls?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Kellie is 26 and Cayenne is 24.

We did not pay quite so much for them back in the day. Cayenne (the dun leopard) is not papered and was 6 years old and totally unbroken when we got her. Kelly is papered and her mother holds a ROM in western pleasure, but when we got her she was an abused runaway.

Both of them move like a horse. VERY smooth walk and trot. Kelly also has a canter to dream about. Cayenne on the other hand has more of an Arab (which I believe she has in her) canter. More bouncy on the hind end and animated. We worked Cayenne in lower level dressage for practice and she was great in English tack or western. She has an extended trot to die for! Kelly's specialty was Western Riding and Horsemanship events. She makes a pattern seem effortless and can change leads by just a weight shift in the seat bones.

OR they can stand in a pasture sucking around a hay bale and grow tons of fur ... Which is what they do these days! :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Brown horse you old gal looks like she is big enough to saddle up as well. How much does she weigh? And what an expressive face!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sounds like they have earned their retirement! :)

She was about 7 when that was taken. She is around 10 now. (She was a stray, so we dont know her exact age.) She is big, but was always very fit so she never gets over 115. I've seen some (who were grossly overweight) up to 205! (The males get bigger of course.)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the pictures of all your horses. But I am glad their yours. Horses scare me to death. Way to big!!!

Bee, I have chickens for eggs and earnings. Not much but sometimes enough topay their own way. Hopefully soon I will have them for meat as well. I have a rabbit I purchased for experience. I have never had a rabbit before. I thought I could use the manure. Then maybe in the future breed and process others.

I almost have my dh convinced on the goats. I think we need to see what this next year brings us. Financially of course.

I would love to buy a breeding pair of turkeys. That will be my winter reading. They would be ok if we went out of town. You know what I also want to look into ducks and geese. Do you know how much those things sell for at the grocery. You would think they were made of gold.

That's it for me.

gina

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
WZ those look like malted milk balls! How cute!

Here is Big Joe (my 4wd Jeep) in all his glory. We just got finished riding today. This horse is a Mac Truck and he will go off-road without a problem. I took him to the pond and he would have swam across the thing if I didn't stop him. Just aim him and off he goes. (He is tenced up b/c of the flash.) Disclaimer--he was a rescue and his conformation is the pits, but for what I use him for it doesn't matter. :)
912_hearts_bread_045.jpg

MUD TIRES

912_hearts_bread_016.jpg

This will give you an idea of how big he is, look at the size of his head compared to my daughter's!
912_hearts_bread_015.jpg

Can you tell he is my pride and glory? Oh and that kid isnt so bad either :p

Latest posts