How much do you pay for butter?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just bought butter yesterday and notice the price went up. I buy 4 1lb boxes at Costco for like 7.50. so what is that? 1.86 per lb.

Wifezilla I wonder if my albertsons has the same sale? I will go see today.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If anyone in my house wanted margarine in a tub they'd be buying it themselves!!!
Butter flavored plastic is NOT allowed in my house! :gig

Wifezilla I wonder if my albertsons has the same sale? I will go see today.
You can pull up the weekly sales flyer for your area on their website.

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
We purchase it from either my uncle, or my mom's friend, both are dairy farmers.

Can't remember how much it is, but its cheaper than grocery store price.
Want me to find out the price and hook you up with some? Your not too far away.
Yeah! That would be awesome!

I love butter. My Dad, being the scientist he is, did an experiment one time with a tub of margarine.

He left a tub of margarine and butter, in a similar tub, out in the sun for a week. Checked the temp. and did observations daily.

The butter spoiled really fast, but the margarine DID NOT SPOIL!!! even after a week sitting outside.

Yuck!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We grew up on margarine--my parents ate butter. We were supposed to eat margarine since it was "better for us" while they enjoyed their butter. Yikes!

I have never touched margarine again since leaving home 18 years ago. I'm lucky to have my husband working each morning at his cousin's dairy, so we get a couple quarts of cream per week to make butter. Nothing like it! But, it does spoil rather quickly.

I think our butter in the store is around $2, but I haven't checked recently. It seems like the prices are pretty volatile.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Catalina you Dad's experiment reminds me of the piece of American plastic wrapped cheese we found under our fridge once. Must have been there for years. Looked just the same as new. :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Catalina you Dad's experiment reminds me of the piece of American plastic wrapped cheese we found under our fridge once. Must have been there for years. Looked just the same as new. :p
O.k. I totally just spewed my coffee when I read that!!!! :lol:

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was eating dinner over at a friend's house and he had a tub of margy on the table. It had expired over a year previously, but appeared to be good as new! I'll admit that I buy the plastic tub b/c the DH uses a TON of it. If I bought only butter I bet I'd go broke! There is very little variety of butters to choose from where I live. Plus I read somewhere that your average store-bought butter isn't really any better for you than margy b/c of the way cows are raised (normally) these days. Butter can be GOOD for you if it comes from GOOD COWS.

ps-- School is back in session, so I'm back!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Catalina said:
Blackbird said:
We purchase it from either my uncle, or my mom's friend, both are dairy farmers.

Can't remember how much it is, but its cheaper than grocery store price.
Want me to find out the price and hook you up with some? Your not too far away.
Yeah! That would be awesome!

I love butter. My Dad, being the scientist he is, did an experiment one time with a tub of margarine.

He left a tub of margarine and butter, in a similar tub, out in the sun for a week. Checked the temp. and did observations daily.

The butter spoiled really fast, but the margarine DID NOT SPOIL!!! even after a week sitting outside.

Yuck!
Alright, I'll have check what the price is and get back to you. Pretty sure its cheaper, especially in dairy month.

I have a couple more ideas for getting more cream from our goats milk, other than a cream seperator, so I'll have to try it out and see. Then I can try making our own butter again.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
O.k. I am from WI, but my family was not a dairy family...hard to believe isn't it? (I do have a nice big cheese head in the closet though...go Packers!!)

Anyway, just wondering what "Dairy Month" is and when is it?