How much do you pay for butter?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Although the food giant butter is not nearly as good for you as butter from cows on grass, especially when the grass is growing rapidly as in the spring or on intensive rotation methods, it is FAR, FAR better for you than any type of margarine. That stuff is pure poison, and will cost you thousands of dollars in the future in health problems that won't show up until it is too late.

I used to buy margarine when it was 4 lbs for a dollar and freeze it (didn't know I could keep it on the sidewalk or underneath the fridge! :lol: ) and bake with it. :sick If I could go back in time and change only one thing in my diet from childhood, it would be a toss-up between knowing about hydrogenated fats and knowing about over-eating refined sugars. I was a lanky kid and thin young adult, so I thought I was getting away with it.

I think it would probably be the shortening and margarine that I would undo. It should be illegal, IMHO.

Butter RULES! :woot

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Margy should be illegal. Then I wouldn't have a choice! I never bake with Margarine. My grandma used to buy those sticks of margarine and mush them all down into a little butter jar she kept on the table. She served bread and "butter" at every meal! I find it pretty funny that on my tub of Country Crock there's a little green checkmark for the "smart choices" program, and it says "slowly churned" on the side. Ha! As if!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
I find it pretty funny that on my tub of Country Crock there's a little green checkmark for the "smart choices" program, and it says "slowly churned" on the side. Ha! As if!
I think they are referring to what happens when it gets into your tummy! :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I buy the plastic tub b/c the DH uses a TON of it.
I hope you have his life insurance paid up!

Although the food giant butter is not nearly as good for you as butter from cows on grass, especially when the grass is growing rapidly as in the spring or on intensive rotation methods, it is FAR, FAR better for you than any type of margarine. That stuff is pure poison, and will cost you thousands of dollars in the future in health problems that won't show up until it is too late.
Exactly!

You can always use the cheap store butter to make ghee for cooking and then use the quality grass-fed butter as a spread.

SimplyForties

Power Conserver
Reaction score
On my way home today I found a neat little store that had 2 lb rolls of Amish butter for $9.49 - worth every penny. They also had organic apple cider vinegar. First place I've found it - finally!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We buy Kate's Butter here too. Not sure what I pay for it. I have had the Irish butter as well. Mmmmm! I grew up eating margarine and I'll never go back. My son has only had it on occasion at MIL's house. She swears her Brummel and Brown yogurt spread is healthier than butter. Hmmm, her bones are a mess..... maybe she should eat some real dairy??
I do buy the grocery store unsalted butter on sale, buy one get one, and freeze it to use for baking.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
BBH, around these parts Dairy Month is June. Basically the prices are lower to help promote dairy farmers, stuff like that.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just went shopping yesterday--butter is $2.79/lb All natural, only extra ingredient is salt.

My dad uses margarine. He has "Calcium gout" He can't have anything with calcium in it or he is in extreme pain. It's amazing what all has calcium in it.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we normally buy Amish roll butter at 8 bucks for a large 4# roll. the last 2 times ive been to the local wal-mart they have been out of butter (strange) and its been hard to get the amish butter from the local guy also. whats up all of a sudden? :hu

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:

I used to buy margarine when it was 4 lbs for a dollar and freeze it (didn't know I could keep it on the sidewalk or underneath the fridge! :lol: ) and bake with it. :sick If I could go back in time and change only one thing in my diet from childhood, it would be a toss-up between knowing about hydrogenated fats and knowing about over-eating refined sugars. I was a lanky kid and thin young adult, so I thought I was getting away with it.

I think it would probably be the shortening and margarine that I would undo. It should be illegal, IMHO.

Butter RULES! :woot
Yeah, me too. I'm sure my mom would have done differently if she knew better. But, these days when my cholesterol is higher than hers I kind of want to blame it on her butter and my margarine for 18 years!

BTW, margarine did used to be illegal here in WI :D Of course, it wasn't about health and was all about supporting dairy, but still...