How much do you pay for butter?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: You have some catching up to do. ;) At least part of the lard ball story is posted above. :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Yeah, but I bet you would still eat butter if it was pale, right? :hu
That's why I said "some people". ;)

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
:lol: You have some catching up to do. ;) At least part of the lard ball story is posted above. :p
Yes, thats what I get for trying to keep up with BBH and her work out thread...I went hiking this morning. :barnie I have muscles that are severely pissed at me right now! :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
Yes, thats what I get for trying to keep up with BBH and her work out thread...I went hiking this morning. :barnie I have muscles that are severely pissed at me right now! :rolleyes:
Well then get a chair and set down and catch up on your reading. Oh, and don't forget to walk around now and again . . . it helps if you don't let your muscles get too stiff!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
ORChick said:
OK, I guess I missed the nuance. ;) I guess I should have said I bet most people would go ahead and still eat it. Though perhaps I am giving most people too much credit. :hu

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
ORChick said:
OK, I guess I missed the nuance. ;) I guess I should have said I bet most people would go ahead and still eat it. Though perhaps I am giving most people too much credit. :hu
Of course, we could just (yeah, right! Just!) figure out a way to provide all dairy cows with fresh spring grass all year long, and that should solve the pale butter problem :lol:. And I think that maybe you are giving "most" peole too much credit. The same people who don't realize that eggs come from chickens also think that butter should always be the same yellow color, without any regard to season or type of feed :rolleyes:.

Lu King

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
ORChick said:
For those of you new to the idea of freezing butter - make sure you overwrap the butter (for this I use heavy duty plastic freezer bags, even though I am really trying to use less plastic :rolleyes:). Just popping the boxes into the freezer, as I used to do, shortens the shelf life considerably. I believe it was Alton Brown who likened the result to "rancid yak butter" :lol:. With the extra protection it lasts much longer in a usable state.
How long will it last in the freezer?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I guess you are right ORChick. And of course you are right about the fresh grass taking care of the color issue.

Did you know there are people afraid of egg yolks that are too colorful? Sheesh!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
delia_peterson said:
Well then get a chair and set down and catch up on your reading. Oh, and don't forget to walk around now and again . . . it helps if you don't let your muscles get too stiff!
Thats my plan, lol! But all this talk of butter makes me want to get up and bake something...:rolleyes: