Status
Not open for further replies.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Bailey'sMom said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
;) and saturated fats are the only way to get fat soluable vitamins.
actually they don't need to be saturated. And unsaturated fats are much easier on your heart.
:/
Another one to teach BB! :) if I could be revived from my low cal/low fat vegan diet, we can help anyone.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
actually they don't need to be saturated. And unsaturated fats are much easier on your hear
Wrong. When you cut open those arterial plaques that kill people when they have heart attacks, they are comprised primarily of vegetable oils.

"Because polyunsaturates are highly subject to rancidity, they increase the body's need for vitamin E and other antioxidants. Excess consumption of vegetable oils is especially damaging to the reproductive organs and the lungsboth of which are sites for huge increases in cancer in the US. In test animals, diets high in polyunsaturates from vegetable oils inhibit the ability to learn, especially under conditions of stress; they are toxic to the liver; they compromise the integrity of the immune system; they depress the mental and physical growth of infants; they increase levels of uric acid in the blood; they cause abnormal fatty acid profiles in the adipose tissues; they have been linked to mental decline and chromosomal damage; they accelerate aging. Excess consumption of polyunsaturates is associated with increasing rates of cancer, heart disease and weight gain; excess use of commercial vegetable oils interferes with the production of prostaglandins leading to an array of complaints ranging from autoimmune disease to PMS. Disruption of prostaglandin production leads to an increased tendency to form blood clots, and hence myocardial infarction, which has reached epidemic levels in America.41

Vegetable oils are more toxic when heated. One study reported that polyunsaturates turn to varnish in the intestines. A study by a plastic surgeon found that women who consumed mostly vegetable oils had far more wrinkles than those who used traditional animal fats. A 1994 study appearing in the Lancet showed that almost three quarters of the fat in artery clogs is unsaturated. The "artery clogging" fats are not animal fats but vegetable oils.42

Those who have most actively promoted the use of polyunsaturated vegetable oils as part of a Prudent Diet are well aware of their dangers. In 1971, William B. Kannel, former director of the Framingham study, warned against including too many polyunsaturates in the diet. A year earlier, Dr. William Connor of the American Heart Association issued a similar warning, and Frederick Stare reviewed an article which reported that the use of polyunsaturated oils caused an increase in breast tumors. And Kritchevsky, way back in 1969, discovered that the use of corn oil caused an increase in atherosclerosis.43"
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/525-the-oiling-of-america.html#poly

I think it is great when people bring up the "conventional diet wisdom" as it gives me an opportunity to show the history of where these recommendations came from. It is fascinating how much was changed over the last 30-40 years due to nothing more than politics and a fraudulent study by Ancel Keys. http://www.spacedoc.net/cholesterol_scam.html

It always boggles my mind how the American public (me included for many years) was bamboozled in to believing that the food we ate for millions of years is bad for us, but the new, highly processed items being passed of as food and created in factories is supposed to be the "healthy". All the while America, trying to follow the gvnmt recommendations, got sicker and fatter.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
"The much-maligned saturated fatswhich Americans are trying to avoidare not the cause of our modern diseases. In fact, they play many important roles in the body chemistry:

Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.

They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.38

They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.39 They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.40

They enhance the immune system.41

They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids.
Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats. 42

Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated.43 The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.

Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.

The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that "artery-clogging" saturated fats cause heart disease.44 Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated."
http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wasn't Weston Price a dentist like 100 years ago? I think I will take my information from more modern sources. I feel more comfortable with mainstream medicine. Lots of research has been done on this topic and I trust my doctor. But thanks for all the info.Good food for thought, so to speak.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
He was a dentist. He did a lot of his work in the 30's and 40's.
http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/price.htm

Where do modern doctors get their information? How much nutrition education do they get? What studies do they base their recommendations on?

"On average, students received 23.9 contact hours of nutrition instruction during medical school (range: 270 h). Only 40 schools required the minimum 25 h recommended by the National Academy of Sciences"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

Is the doctors info coming from a drug rep?

It's your health. Ask questions and do your own research.

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
It's your health. Ask questions and do your own research.
Oh I have and I do. Thank you for your advice. I have taken many nutrition classes and I have studied human physiology. I believe I have made an informed decision about my health, as you have. Thanks for the input!

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla - it was wonderful and refreshing to read this - it matches almost entirely what I have always believed, although I've never done any research to prove or disprove my own theory. Nevertheless, I'm in my 40's and have never had a cholesterol test (and when asked, tell people I never will). I eat butter instead of margarine, and love fat on meat - and eat it without guilt because I sincerely do NOT believe it is bad for me. I am slender, in case you're wondering, and balance out my diet with whole foods, whole grains, fresh produce - moderation in everything is my motto.

However I did want to correct you on this one point:

Wifezilla said:
He soon discovered that the rabbits developed arterial plaques and cardiovascular disease. Researchers discovered that the same thing happens when chickens, guinea pigs and goats eat a high-fat diet.

Later these studies were cited as evidence of a high-fat diet causing heart disease in humans. Hmm lets see. All of these animals are obligate herbivores. They evolved eating nothing but plants. They are clearly not designed to eat meat. When we feed them meat and fat it makes them sick.
Chickens are as much omnivores as are people. Their natural diet contains bugs, worms etc. and while they eat grains and vegies, they get MOST excited when a meat treat is thrown out to them. I had a chicken who caught mice and ate them whole - if the others didn't steal them away from her first.

So I guess the addition of that one word makes me wonder and hope it was in error, since the theory would make complete sense if we are only talking about true herbivores. Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.