How to lose a few pounds/inches without any radical diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
HEChicken said:
Chickens are as much omnivores as are people. Their natural diet contains bugs, worms etc. and while they eat grains and vegies, they get MOST excited when a meat treat is thrown out to them. I had a chicken who caught mice and ate them whole - if the others didn't steal them away from her first.
That is why I won't eat eggs listed as "vegetarian fed" which is all the big "health" thing now. Vegetarian chickens. WTF? They aren't vegetarian.

So perhaps they fed them vegetarian on that study?

I prefer MY chickens to nom much bugs and worms!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
abifae said:
HEChicken said:
Chickens are as much omnivores as are people. Their natural diet contains bugs, worms etc. and while they eat grains and vegies, they get MOST excited when a meat treat is thrown out to them. I had a chicken who caught mice and ate them whole - if the others didn't steal them away from her first.
That is why I won't eat eggs listed as "vegetarian fed" which is all the big "health" thing now. Vegetarian chickens. WTF? They aren't vegetarian.

So perhaps they fed them vegetarian on that study?

I prefer MY chickens to nom much bugs and worms!!!
Ha! Me too Abs!
Vegetarian chickens....of all the stupid ideas......'hey, I know let's load 'em up n soy!' :smack

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Dace said:
Ha! Me too Abs!
Vegetarian chickens....of all the stupid ideas......'hey, I know let's load 'em up n soy!' :smack
My opinion is it's a lie.

They cannot be "free range" and "vegetarian" because a free range chicken will eat bugs. So which is it? By free range do they mean they have skylights in the roof of the barn they stuff them into and no cages? And no bugs. They'd have to spray for bugs. A LOT.

Maybe all the soy feed kills the bugs?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well but free range can mean very limited access to an outdoor area.....doesn't mean pasture or anything even remotely resembling a natural foraging environment. It could be a small dirt yard that is mostly enclosed.

One time at the farmers market I stopped to talk to the egg people. I asked a few chickeny questions and was told that their hens were kept safe and sound in big comfy cages :rolleyes: because if they are let outdoors they will eat all kinds of nasty things including their own poo. :smack

I was absolutely disgusted....as was my chicken wrangling 7 yr old. She just couldnt fathom keeping her chickens in cages. Her chickens were very adventurous....they liked to ride on skateboards and that is definitely an outdoor activity. :lol:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Dace said:
I was absolutely disgusted....as was my chicken wrangling 7 yr old. She just couldnt fathom keeping her chickens in cages. Her chickens were very adventurous....they liked to ride on skateboards and that is definitely an outdoor activity. :lol:
My ex's parrot skate boarded :D

That's awesome.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The cholesterol experiments were weird. I read in depth about the rabbit study, but have not independently researched the chicken experiment.

""It is true that cholesterol is also deposited in the arteries of the [force-fed] rabbit, but these deposits do not even remotely resemble those found in human atherosclerosis. Cholesterol appears in different places in a rabbit's vessels than in man's, the microscopic changes are different, no hemorrhages or clefts appear as they do in man, and no thrombus or aneurysm formation in the arterial wall is seen. The most striking fact is that it is impossible to induce a heart attack in a rabbit by dietary means alone.""
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/559885/posts

I did find this at the same link as above...
"Chickens fed polyunsaturates develop brain damage very quickly, but perhaps this should not be expected to apply to humans. "

It isn't that the chickens are eating fat (as well know those fluffy little dinosaurs LOVE to do), but that the fats are of vegetable origins. Saturated fat = good and polyunsaturated fat = bad. I do think that applies to humans as well as chickens.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
abifae said:
Dace said:
Ha! Me too Abs!
My opinion is it's a lie.

They cannot be "free range" and "vegetarian" because a free range chicken will eat bugs. So which is it? By free range do they mean they have skylights in the roof of the barn they stuff them into and no cages? And no bugs. They'd have to spray for bugs. A LOT.

Maybe all the soy feed kills the bugs?
We had discussion about this on BYC a few months ago. The History Channel had a Modern Marvels episode on eggs. Some dude in CA was selling "organic, vegetarian fed" eggs for $7/dozen. Yet he had them free ranging all over his veggie fields.

His "feed" was vegetarian, and someone locally from the area said that what folks were concerned about.

$7/dozen.....? :)

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I agree. Vegetarian fed means the feed is vegetarian and does not contain, say, ground up cow brains. Good to know.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow what a money making crock of SHI*

vegetarian fed eggs OMG what is next that the gullible consumer will buy? honestly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts