How we went from $42,000 to $6,500 and lived to tell about it!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Seriously, though.....the richest members of my family are also the most angry, most miserable, most evil, most unhappy people I know. You would think that, after striving to earn all that money, they could sit back bask in the warm glow of their millions..... :rolleyes:
The richest people in my family are super nice. They give (I'm pretty sure, anyway--they don't brag) to charity and donate a lot of their time to causes they believe in.

But, also the poorest in my family are spectular. They travel to developing countries and give months to years of their time to actually help build it up.

Most of us are just kind of regular folks, somewhere in the middle for income and giving.

Not sure we can generalize too much about rich or poor. To me, it's just another "ism", only its like reverse classism.

That said, I don't want to be rich myself. I think it would bring up more headaches than it would solve. I would like to always have just a little more money than I need to support my current lifestyle.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
hiker, I know you must feel somewhat grumpy from toting that rather large chip on your shoulder. :) Why not lay it down and get some relief and lose that angry feeling? :thumbsup
Not believing everything I read does not make me "grumpy". It simply makes me skeptical.

And I don't think it makes any more sense to glorify poverty than it does to glorify wealth. Happy, nice people exist on all points along the economic spectrum. Wealth or lack thereof has nothing to do with it.

I am not the least bit angry. I just don't believe everything everyone says.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have money in our family and are very far from being miserable people. It is not the moneys fault, it is the individual person and their background on their family life etc. Don't think some wealth coming their way made them be miserable. Having money or lack of it doesn't sum up a person's personality in this life usually.

the generalism about having some wealth is sad on this board seriously.

money can buy alot of fun in life.....money can make one feel more secure etc. not saying that money is the cause of everything wonderful on this earth, but me for one, would like some! I want money. I ain't kidding myself at all.

there is nothing wrong with getting old, but I sure want some money to help secure my old age. But again, this is how I think personally. To each his own on this subject.

if ya don't want your money send it my way OK?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So....so far we have a few folks who found this article encouraging and interesting and a few who either don't believe it's true or are highly skeptical that someone can live this way on this amount of money.

Interesting...... :pop

I, for one, wasn't interested about the article for the economics side of it....merely the attitude with which these folks approached their change in fortunes and the adaptations they made and how happy they were with the results.

I am always interested in what makes folks tick, what motivates them to certain actions and the outcomes of those actions.

Sort of the reasons why such a myriad of people have come together on this forum with a lot of the same goals but from such widely different perspectives on life. Always fascinating! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am not the least bit angry. I just don't believe everything everyone says.
I was not referring to your open skepticism when I mentioned your angry attitude. You seem to take offense or jump aggressively at everything I post and I'm sorry I bring out that response from you but it seems like a personal problem that really doesn't involve me.

I don't even know you and don't go out of my way to antagonize you, so I can only conclude that you are somewhat grumpy in nature, in general~ or that you just don't like me for some odd reason.

There is not much I can do about that but pray that you can somehow get past it. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Last time I checked, people on this forum were allowed to criticize a topic/article without being personally attacked and called grumpy and angry, and being accused of carrying a chip on their shoulder.

It might help to also know that hikerchick is in the middle of losing her home and her animals. Personally, I think she is managing to be downright polite considering all that...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
As I said in my previous post, it wasn't her criticism of the article that I was referring to....anyone can criticize anything on here all they want. But the aggressive tone of the criticism, plus other aggressive responses to earlier posts of mine leads me to believe that her tone is towards me and not necessarily towards the thread material. I could be wrong but I sense a pattern.

We all have problems in our lives at different times. It happens. Sometimes it comes out in our posts but I clearly seem to be a trigger point for Hiker for some reason.

She can critique anything she dang well pleases for all I care and she can call authors of articles "hucksters" all she wants.
I'm sorry she is losing her home and her animals. I'm also sorry that she seems to like to use a curt and aggressive tone towards my posts~subject matter aside.

I wasn't attacking her at all, merely mentioning this vibe I am getting from her in her response to my posts. I apologize for calling her "grumpy and angry" but that's how I see it. Whenever someone apparently has a bad attitude towards me I generally refer to it as a chip on their shoulder.

I'm sorry you perceived that as an attack. It was offered as friendly advice with a smile and an encouraging tone, but you can see it any way you wish. Again, that is purely a personal choice to read negativity into my every post.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed- I apologize if I have led you to believe that I have anything against you personally. Trust me, I don't; I have better things to spend my energy on than getting angry at strangers on the internet. So I am sorry if I came across that way.

I think what is happening here is that sometimes you imply that everyone should be happy to live on a subsistence level and that anyone who wants more than that has their values wrong. It is that attitude that I am reacting to, not you personally. I am sorry if I directed at you personally.It wasn't meant that way.