I guess I should introduce myself.--something to say

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know digitals are awesome. I had one. It died. :hit A new one is on my list but, it won't be a cheap one. I've been there and done that and didn't care for the quality of the pictures at all. I'd rather go back to the old 110s than that again. So until I save enough money for a good one, it's back to 35mm. It's a good thing it's not birthday (birthdays are all in the winter) time or any other big event time.

I took a look at the link to see what everyone is talking about. It looks to me like a pretty typical small family farm here in Wisconsin. Setups very, of course, but building surrounded by open fields is most definitely not unheard of.

I have a friend having surgery this week and I will be helping her (along with another lady) so, if I'm long between posts this week, please excuse me.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Good luck to your friend with her surgery. She is blessed to have a friend like you. :hugs
Thank you.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm home, for tonight anyway. She had a doctor appt today and I asked her if she would take her digital camera and take a picture of the farm. She did. This is taken from the back as we come down the side road. It's hard to get a picture from the front as we sit so close to the road and with the trees in the yard you wouldn't have been able to see the other buildings to well. So, at least for now, this is the view I have.

1062_img_4234.jpg

The shed is on the right with the main barn (milking barn) in the middle. The small barn on the left is for the heifers. The calf hutches are around the other side of the buildings and can't be seen in the picture.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow, what a beautiful place to call home! I am so jealous!

Hope you friend is doing better :)

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you. Many farms here are surrounded by fields. Many homes are too as they are building them on farm land. :( Sometimes, I wish for a home in the woods. There are some here that you can't see from the road and I envy them as we are on the corner of two busy county roads and sit close to both of them. It would just be nice to be hidden from view sometimes. There's no running out to the barn in my PJ's for someone would be coming by. :ep

My friend's surgery was on her foot. She is to be off of it for the most part all week and into next week. There are a couple others who will be helping her next week. She is doing fine and antsy to be able to get up and about.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We just all want what we don't have right? I guess the grass is always greener somewhere else :)

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
We just all want what we don't have right? I guess the grass is always greener somewhere else :)
I guess it's just human nature at work!

BBH, thank you.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Looking at that picture, just gave me the most wonderfull peacfull feeling. You have a nice place.
Funny how they have to push that California is the place to be for cows, isn't it. I've never been there but, from what I understand the cows are only out on pasture in primarily one valley. The majority of the others are in feedlot type situations. I really don't know how they can be happy with the water shortage we keep hearing about in California. Not to mention the earth quakes!
I live in California and the commercial doesn't make sense to me either. The only way fields stay green in the summer is, if the farmer waters them. And it gets hot here. The cows I see on occasion, usually huddle under the shade of the occasional oak tree. The commercial is obviously directed toward city slickers. :lol:
I cannot imagine a cow wanting to live here any more than say in Wisconsin or New York.