I think I am taking the plunge... Kefir plunge!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Same as you Dace. I don't think you need gobs of it to get the healthy benefits. You can spread it out through out the day, say a shot or two before each meal.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks....currently I am drinking the pint every day. I dont mind the taste at all. Sorta reminds me of sour cream. I LIKE sour cream. :p
Its just that some times...I get a "rush" from drinking the full pint....then feel like I could really take a nap, about an hour later. I dont nap...but push through. I have to say tho...it has definately straightened out my bowels. :/ For the last 10 years...at least, I have hade from one to two BM a week. Thats all. I have tried several OTC remedies..nothing works without giving me terrible cramps. This stuff is working quite well. :D Just think...if Elvis would have had the benefits of Kefir ... im just sayin... LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I bought some Kefir at the grocery the other day. Flavored and sweetened of course. But anyways the kids and I had it in smoothies. I am just trying to break them in slowly. so here is the point to my story.

I am at the health food store and as I am checking out I ask the cashier "do you happen to sell dehydrated Kefir grains?" She looked at me and says "Isn't kiefer that liquid you get off the top of yogurt?" I almost cried. I kinda gave her a brief run down of what was what. She say oh that's kinda like my Kombucha. I said yes but thats a scooby! She said "whats a scooby?"

:he I gave up.

To make a long story short they do have it. I found the grains the next time I went in. I scanned the directions on the back and it said to heat the milk. Isn't that a no no? I have not bought them yet. They were not to expensive but I wanted to research a bit more.

Just though I would share.

gina

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Heating the milk might speed the process along, but it works just fine put into refrigerated milk and left on the shelf in a cold house . . . just might take longer. :)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
A scoby is the mother culture used to made Kombucha tea. There are some threads on it around here somewhere..

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Gina, I keep mine on the counter and pour in cold organic whole milk...works just fine.

If you put the kefir in a
smoothy your kids would neve taste
it.

My little one is not a not a smoothy fan but does
like the sweetened kefir, so I
still buy that for her..... not great but better than
nothing.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sorry my mil stopped by, I was distracted.

Drake I think they were heating the milk to pasteurize it. Not sure. But I thin I would use raw with no heat.

Dace, my kids will eat anything. sometimes that's the problem. :hide

gina