indian Corn

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
x2! In S.A. corn like that was a bit of a rarity and people used to buy it on the cob (when they could get it) to use as decorations. Our friends were horrified when we told them we feed it to our chickens!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kind of pretty when it dries. The one on the right ain't dry yet. I still don't know what I'm going to do with all this indian flour corn. I guess I grind some up, save some for seed and feed the rest to the chickens and turkeys a little at a time.
IMG_20180920_230802398.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is so pretty! It would look nice with our blue corn, lol. I think our blue corn is a bust this year. DH planted it in he deer plot, but he planted really late. I will have to go out and check again, but 2 weeks ago we still had cob trying to form and the plants were really tiny.
Can I leave the cobs on the corn plants until the plants die and dry up? If it is going to mature, it is going to need every second of growing time it can get.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is so pretty! It would look nice with our blue corn, lol. I think our blue corn is a bust this year. DH planted it in he deer plot, but he planted really late. I will have to go out and check again, but 2 weeks ago we still had cob trying to form and the plants were really tiny.
Can I leave the cobs on the corn plants until the plants die and dry up? If it is going to mature, it is going to need every second of growing time it can get.

Leave on the stalk until dry? That's exactly what farmers do here in southern IL. Then they run a combine through the feilds and unload into semi trucks to deliver to the grain mill.

Hit me up next year late winter and I'll send you some seeds if you like. This has been confirmed to be Indian Flour Corn. The kernles are white and powdery on the inside.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour_corn

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Harvest looks nice for you. That corn has such a varied coloring and color combinations.

DH brought in another cob of blue corn. The kernels have finally turned dark blue and are starting to dry out. However, the coons have amp'ed up their corn raids so I will need to pick it this week if I want to get any. Neighbor's soybean cash crop was combined this weekend, so I guess it is time. We will have a killing frost on Thursday and Friday nights so gardens and growing will be done for the season. Now to figure out how to pick the buckwheat and the field peas.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh ya, we bought a corn shucker! It is really slick and works awesome on the blue corn (I had one cob from last year I that I somehow missed shucking - by hand). Can't wait to use it this year.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Harvest looks nice for you. That corn has such a varied coloring and color combinations.

DH brought in another cob of blue corn. The kernels have finally turned dark blue and are starting to dry out. However, the coons have amp'ed up their corn raids so I will need to pick it this week if I want to get any. Neighbor's soybean cash crop was combined this weekend, so I guess it is time. We will have a killing frost on Thursday and Friday nights so gardens and growing will be done for the season. Now to figure out how to pick the buckwheat and the field peas.

I could have taken better care of it and I would have had a better yeild. I planted it mainly as a novelty not knowing at the the time that it is indian flour corn. I never knew there was such a thing as flour corn until @baymule being so smart pointed me to it.

I'm going to grind most of it and try and make some corn bread with it. The rest I'll save for seed and plant next year.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Out of what I picked so far only one purple and pink ear. My daughter in law and daughter both wanted that ear so bad. But even though I love em both to death, I had to say no. I'm going to plant those seeds next year with hopes to get more purple and pink ears.

IMG_20181008_231745.jpg