indian Corn

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We harvested our Indian corn, coons left us about 1/2 of a 5 gallon pail of ears. It is drying on the mantle by the pellet stove right now. So we ended up with about the same amount as we put in the ground, lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We harvested our Indian corn, coons left us about 1/2 of a 5 gallon pail of ears. It is drying on the mantle by the pellet stove right now. So we ended up with about the same amount as we put in the ground, lol.

I have 4 strands of 12ga electric fence wire around my gardens. Keeps just about every animal out except a few rabbits. But I have a 12ga for rabbits that figure out if they run fast enough and jump in between the runs of electric fence they won't get a lesson about electricity.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Garden will be fenced by spring. I had sweet corn in the garden, so the blue corn went out in the field with the buckwheat, oats and field peas. I had a really good harvest last year, so it isn't that big of a deal to not get a great harvest this year.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope you get a great harvest on the purple and pink corn.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you don’t have a grain mill you can soak the corn kernels overnight in the liquid that you put in the cornbread (typically a cup of milk) to soften it up. Then you can run them through a blender. I think it is 3/4 cup of unmilled kernels to one cup milled cornmeal.

I once separated all the colors, milled the corn and made cornbread. No matter what color of the kernels, the cornbread was still a bluish color. LOL

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The nixtamalization process uses an alkali solution and the soaking liquid is drained off and disposed of. It also removes 75-95% of toxins produced by a common corn mold. Milk is acidic, so it wouldn't have the same effect as Nixtamalization, but it probably does soften the kernal so it is easier to grind.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The nixtamalization process uses an alkali solution and the soaking liquid is drained off and disposed of. It also removes 75-95% of toxins produced by a common corn mold. Milk is acidic, so it wouldn't have the same effect as Nixtamalization, but it probably does soften the kernal so it is easier to grind.

I'm lost... Remember I'm a guy here.

Latest posts