Info on dehydrating, shipping and rehydrating kefir grains

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got my grains a few days ago. Thank you Sally!! That was a pretty card, too :)

I'm going to rehydrate them tonight, once I've read back over this thread and probably printed it out for reference.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I got my grains a few days ago. Thank you Sally!! That was a pretty card, too :)

I'm going to rehydrate them tonight, once I've read back over this thread and probably printed it out for reference.
:woot Let me know if it works out. Have fun! Oh, welcome back too. :)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm iching to try it. I'm with Dace, they didn't look at all like I expected.

So to rehydrate, just a half-cup or so of milk to cover it. Rinse with filtered water before adding the new milk & leave at room temp. Renew milk every day.
Once it smells like food, use a glassful of fresh, room temp milk. Strain them out or fish them out with clean fingers when the milk gets done every day or so.

That about sum it up or have I left out anything?

And Thank you! I missed you guys.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
can someone send me some??? PM me with the cost :D I'm dieing to try it, so I'll need instructions as well...thanx!!!!

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:

So to rehydrate, just a half-cup or so of milk to cover it. Rinse with filtered water before adding the new milk & leave at room temp. Renew milk every day.
Once it smells like food, use a glassful of fresh, room temp milk. Strain them out or fish them out with clean fingers when the milk gets done every day or so.

Is that all that has to be done? I have only tried the kefir from the organic section in the grocery store- that stuff is delicious but I didn't know it was good for me. How do people go about getting the grains? Does this stuff come out like the stuff in the store?

sorry for so many questions.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
can someone send me some??? PM me with the cost :D I'm dieing to try it, so I'll need instructions as well...thanx!!!!
I have extras in my frig but I have not dehydrated them.....if no one else offers I will figure out how to dry 'em up for ya!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
redux said:
noobiechickenlady said:

Is that all that has to be done? I have only tried the kefir from the organic section in the grocery store- that stuff is delicious but I didn't know it was good for me. How do people go about getting the grains? Does this stuff come out like the stuff in the store?

It is really very easy, but you do have to find the grains.....you can see if someone here can send you one (as I posted already, mine are not dehydrated) or check craigslist.
Home made kefir is incredibly good for you, better that the sweetened stuff from the store. It is more like a plain slightly runny yogurt.

Do a google search for the health benes.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Dace said:
redux said:
noobiechickenlady said:

It is really very easy, but you do have to find the grains.....you can see if someone here can send you one (as I posted already, mine are not dehydrated) or check craigslist.
Home made kefir is incredibly good for you, better that the sweetened stuff from the store. It is more like a plain slightly runny yogurt.

Do a google search for the health benes.
Thanks. Can you sweeten it with fruit or something? Will do the search.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yeah I guess... some people add a little juice to it and chug a lug. I add it to my morning smoothie....some just drink it plain.