Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Smoothies- good idea.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Dace said:
pioneergirl said:
can someone send me some??? PM me with the cost :D I'm dieing to try it, so I'll need instructions as well...thanx!!!!
I have extras in my frig but I have not dehydrated them.....if no one else offers I will figure out how to dry 'em up for ya!
PM me your mailing address...I have some in the freezer, all nice and dry. I lost mine so many times, I figured I'd better put up a supply of replacements. Good thing I did. My original colony is kaput... when I dried up Mya, I lost the habit of making kefir when I strained the evening milk. Tried to continue with storebought milk, and kept forgetting it, over and over. DH has a habit of moving my stuff, and kept "hiding" the kefir jar, and out of sight, out of mind. :rolleyes:

Well, I'll be milking again before I know it, so back to fresh kefir! :weee

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want to jump in and make sure I'm not doing something wrong. BBH sent me a nice sized grain several months ago and I've been trying to be diligent about straining it out & storing the kefir until we drink it or draining it for cheese.

Every evening (okay, almost!) I run the kefir through a stainless steel strainer to catch the grain. I rinse it off with some fresh milk, then fill a new jar with milk & add the grain. The 24 hour batches smell wonderful, like yogurt. If I forget and let it go to the next morning, it starts smelling more like soured milk and less like food. Although the cats love it.

Am I hurting my grain by letting it go for longer? It still seems plump & healthy, but I'm not seeing much growth or multiplying.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I did read that it should not sit out 'culturing' for more than 48 hours. Once it hits 48 toss it and start over.

I sometimes have to throw mine in the frig if I can't tend to it with in 24-30 hours.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Doesn't hurt mine. I like it a bit on the sour side. :p
I love how it smells like really, really sour yogurt, but tastes like really mild yogurt. At least that's what it tastes like to me.

Smoothie heaven :D

Thanks ladies!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Am i doing something wrong? I have been trying to get my kefir going since April 17. It has NEVER smelled right. After one day, it is thin and smells like alcohol--not sour. i will let it go another day, and it is all clumpy, and still smells like alcohol. then I will change the milk and start again. It smells really offensive. I am using homo milk, not my sheeps milk. I am getting so impatient, waiting for it to turn out right, but it hasn't. So if anyone has any suggestions for me, I'm all ears.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Change the milk daily until it smells good! Don't let it go two days. I wonder if your culture is out of balance.

Latest posts