Info on dehydrating, shipping and rehydrating kefir grains

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
My kefir has a layer of "kefir-cream" at the top when it is done, I just mix it in and drink it. :sick

I am going to put it in my smoothie :cool:
I didn't even think twice about how gross that sounded. :gig

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, if you strain your kefir with your fingers you can easily feel the difference between the grains and the kefir curds. If there is any question just squeeze - the curds will disintegrate, the grains will stay whole, and feel kind of spongy. If you miss a few small ones, no matter; make sure you keep the big one(s), and they will eventually grow. You started with dehydrated grains, right? They will take a while to get to the the multiplying point, but they will eventually get there.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks ORchick....I am starting to get it now ;)

I just can't wait till I can drink the stuff....it just still smells like milk that has been left out all night rather than kefir.
The critters are enjoying it though :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok how do I know when my kefir is kefir?

I am thinking it is ready, but not sure! I don't think it will hurt me to consume it even if it is not quite as potent as it will get right??

Edited to add....I think I put the grain in milk on Sat 12/5....so it has only been a week and it was dehydrated. It is plump but I am not sure if it gets plumper.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Ok how do I know when my kefir is kefir?

I am thinking it is ready, but not sure! I don't think it will hurt me to consume it even if it is not quite as potent as it will get right??

Edited to add....I think I put the grain in milk on Sat 12/5....so it has only been a week and it was dehydrated. It is plump but I am not sure if it gets plumper.
Dace, if it smells like something you wouldn't mind ingesting then it is just fine. When I first re-hydrated some dried grains it took about 5-7 days before it smelled OK; the first few days it was actually quite foul, I wouldn't even give it to the chickens. And, when you say that you put the grain in milk a week ago, I assume that you have been changing the milk every day, right?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yes! Changing it every day ,but it seemed different somehow today, like it was smoother and thicker sooner. I am hoping that is a good sign!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:ya Sounds like it is close to being ready Dace!! Remember it was only partially dehydrated so it shouldn't take quite as long as a completely dehydrated grain.

I don't think it would hurt to try the kefir at this point...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok BBH....I will put it in my smoothie tomorrow morning. If I go MIA you know what happened death by kefir!