Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saved 67% at Safeway by redeeming rain checks. One free box of cherrioes, five boxes of chex at $1.49 each, then found some lunch meat on 30% off and a box of some sort of cereal that was in the clearance section. Hubs will eat 2 boxes a week, altho I've started him back on the cold overnight oats to break up the amount of cereal he consumes.

I'm not humble - I'm proud to be saving money left and right, considering the cost of goods nowadays.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here I was, being a responsible adult, I passed on a new laptop on Black Friday sale because I wanted to pay off the credit card that I used to pay for Sentry’s stay at the hospital. Yep, being frugal, sensible, going to get a fan on the old laptop……. That went south in a hurry.
I bought a horse out of a kill pen. Just couldn’t stop myself.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Here I was, being a responsible adult, I passed on a new laptop on Black Friday sale because I wanted to pay off the credit card that I used to pay for Sentry’s stay at the hospital. Yep, being frugal, sensible, going to get a fan on the old laptop……. That went south in a hurry.
Priorities 😀

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Merry Christmas! :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife stopped buying paper plates. She said $8 something for 50 or 14 something for 100 was too much. She also said she walked out of Walmart with less than $100 dollars this time and something about an item that's not been in stock for a while so she grabbed a few. She also said E85 (85% tainted corn liquor 15% gasoline) was $2.15 a gallon and she filled up. Kind of happy we bought a flex fuel vehicle, It's really helped a lot with all the crazy gasoline price fluctuation. Besides I've got used to it smelling like a still when it's first fires up.

Need to change oil in two trucks and the lawn mower. I went full synthetic several years ago. Oil is good for longer than conventional which means less oil changes but ofcourse the oil is more expensive.

I'm not looking forward to paying for the oil changes 37 / 5 = $7.40 a quart. this is the cheapest I found locally "excluded from discounts" so can't use speed perks for a discount. I'm gonna need 15 quarts plus oil WIX filters. Probably looking at $125 ~$150. It must be done, so I'll do what needs doing.
Screenshot_20221208-212527.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And @CrealCritter .... you have one tractor to worry about with oil and filter changes.... we have at least 5 that will get done in the next couple of months... luckily we don't use them all "full time" so with tractors you go by the number of hours.... but the 2 big tractors, the one I use for raking all the time, the skid steer loader, and one that we don't use alot but is getting up in hours so needs to be done before spring.... plus several diesel trucks we use alot on the farm....
It is breaking the bank to do the maintenance work lately... and if you don't do it.... then it could be THOUSANDS of dollars for a repair.....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And @CrealCritter .... you have one tractor to worry about with oil and filter changes.... we have at least 5 that will get done in the next couple of months... luckily we don't use them all "full time" so with tractors you go by the number of hours.... but the 2 big tractors, the one I use for raking all the time, the skid steer loader, and one that we don't use alot but is getting up in hours so needs to be done before spring.... plus several diesel trucks we use alot on the farm....
It is breaking the bank to do the maintenance work lately... and if you don't do it.... then it could be THOUSANDS of dollars for a repair.....
Tractor will need oil changes next year.

I can't imagine the cost for you, all I can say is i'm sorry :(

When I do the tractor next it year, it'll be all the fluids including coolant, motor, gear, finals, clutch, steering, hydraulic and transmission. I better start saving now, yikes.

And you are correct, don't change the oils, chances of paying big bucks for repairs increases sharply.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Latest posts