Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
E85 still smells like corn liquor to me.
After building ethanol plants for some many years. It's basically the same process with some additives thrown in at the end. Well the same up until the end.

I always wonder how it started getting big. Some moon shiner said this is strong enough to run the lawn mower, (I've known a few that have and did) then some already rich entrepreneur or corn farmer took off with it and made it grand scale.

Also the shiners would never leave it in there or run it for long and clean it out afterwards because it is NOT meant to run in a gasoline or diesel engine. Just flammable/explosive enough to ignite and turn the pistons.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickweed is my winter salad greens. I’ll have to prepare a manure/compost protected place from animal trampling place for chickweed. It’s green all winter, even under snow. When the snow melts, remember I’m in Texas, snow rarely lasts more than 3-4 days and it’s melted, the chickweed emerges unharmed, ready to pick. It will last until spring when the weather gets hot.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My work from home uniform in summer consists of faded, paint splotched blue jeans that may have holes in them, a faded T-shirt, and tennis shoes that are no longer town shoes.
Winter is a little more diversified. Same blue jeans or flannel lined jeans ( I caught on sale for $8) long sleeved T-Shirt, long sleeved faded denim shirt, Carhart insulated over alls, a sweat hoodie and rubber boots. Optional is a knit hat under the hoodie, a Carhart coat over the sweat hoodie, fleece lined gloves and thick wool socks.

Other options are not get dressed and slop around in sweat pants and big baggy T-shirt. Going out to do chores, put on all the outerwear listed above. :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife stopped buying paper plates. She said $8 something for 50 or 14 something for 100 was too much. She also said she walked out of Walmart with less than $100 dollars this time and something about an item that's not been in stock for a while so she grabbed a few. She also said E85 (85% tainted corn liquor 15% gasoline) was $2.15 a gallon and she filled up. Kind of happy we bought a flex fuel vehicle, It's really helped a lot with all the crazy gasoline price fluctuation. Besides I've got used to it smelling like a still when it's first fires up.

Need to change oil in two trucks and the lawn mower. I went full synthetic several years ago. Oil is good for longer than conventional which means less oil changes but ofcourse the oil is more expensive.

I'm not looking forward to paying for the oil changes 37 / 5 = $7.40 a quart. this is the cheapest I found locally "excluded from discounts" so can't use speed perks for a discount. I'm gonna need 15 quarts plus oil WIX filters. Probably looking at $125 ~$150. It must be done, so I'll do what needs doing.
Screenshot_20221208-212527.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm happy with the new shovel i bought several months ago. as a bonus when i ding it or scrape it with the knife it rings. it has a harmonic resonance in it. the booger is heavy and doesn't have a very sharp edge on it but it gets the job done and it sings at me... *queue Mrs. Bucket*...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still have my little 23 HP Kubota, it’s still over at my sons house. Son has 2 old Massey Ferguson tractors. One of them has an add on front end loader, it wasn’t “born” with it. I call it the Frankentractor. :lol: