Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have not been living as frugally as I would like but setting new goals for the next year and the years after will get me to the point where I am content. The one thing that I struggle with the most is sewing, so I spend (will always spend) money on clothes, bedding, linens, etc. BUT I shop at thrift stores or only buy clothes on clearance - min 75% off, takes some searching but it can be done. The hardest to find deals on is winter gear, it is so expensive!

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I’ve purged my closet almost to the point of nakedness. I’m going to have to haunt the sale racks-and I hate shopping.
Bay!! I hate shopping too!!!

The way I bought clothes after moving to Germany (and started work from home) -- figuring out what is cozy and easy to clean/care --> buying three to five same pieces when there is a special offer. :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have my athleisure "uniform" - black/gray leggings, capris, or bike shorts, black/gray tank tops, black/gray zipper hoodies, and bright colored shirts. I wore that exclusively for years. This was my solution for chronic illness and being bedbound - socially acceptable pajamas 24/7. :gig

Now that I'm doing better I've been building up a second wardrobe. Wool, silk, cashmere, leather, fur. All thrifted for ridiculously low prices. You learn which thrift stores haven't figure out to mark up the good stuff. :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Anatolians like bones for their dog toys. Carson is easy to please. I have lots and lots of dog toys-free! After cutting 6 dead oak trees, they are abundant.

5D559793-7DD8-4A01-8D59-87080F62C306.jpeg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Here I was, being a responsible adult, I passed on a new laptop on Black Friday sale because I wanted to pay off the credit card that I used to pay for Sentry’s stay at the hospital. Yep, being frugal, sensible, going to get a fan on the old laptop……. That went south in a hurry.
I bought a horse out of a kill pen. Just couldn’t stop myself.
Priorities 😀

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here I was, being a responsible adult, I passed on a new laptop on Black Friday sale because I wanted to pay off the credit card that I used to pay for Sentry’s stay at the hospital. Yep, being frugal, sensible, going to get a fan on the old laptop……. That went south in a hurry.
I bought a horse out of a kill pen. Just couldn’t stop myself.

Merry Christmas! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
CC since you know it’s coming, just start buying what you need, a little at a time. If you spread it out, it won’t be a big hit all at once. Plus everything you need may not be available and this would give you time to gather it all up and make sure you have everything when you need it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I have only one tractor to deal with but the air filter is almost $30! Bought 5gal hydraulic, 3 gal oil, oil filter & antifreeze (over $175.)....have to buy 2 hydraul filters by spring -- another $85. and spec order. Then truck was $55. oil/filter service. 🥴

Bought gas for $2.89 per this week. At least something went down a little in price.👍

Still no grocery shopping 🙂. Eating well from previous sales stockpiled and preserving at home. Canned!