Java. the end.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Karen :frow
You can have my rain.
I just got in from chasing goats in a downpour :lol: I figured they would run straight for the barn, but noooo - Miss Rory doesn't care if she gets soaked to the skin if there's a chance she can snag something out of the forbidden area of the yard. She got a cucumber leaf, 1/2 a pepper plant :rolleyes:, a broccoli leaf, and then made it around the chicken coop to the forsythia and lilacs. I got drenched :lol: but at least I got in before the lightning started - it's crazy out there now!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow

I can't believe that Rory doesn't mind rain. There is NO way my goats would stay out in the rain for anything. They are such babies. :lol:

I'm very thankful not to get the 6" of rain that Copley got. Our barns would have flooded for sure and I had to tear down our stall setup in one of the haylofts since we are getting hay soon.

2chickenrich

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Try putting fast acting powdered lime on plant and around the base it should take care off the bloome problem. Lowes here sells for 3.00 a 40 lb. bag. Look at the bright side you dont have to pull hoses everywhere to water like do in Georgia

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll try that - thanks!

We've gotten so much rain the garden is back to mud. :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
And if you can, pinch off the rotted stuff. The plant will hurry up and put out more.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The rotted peppers were chicken snacks last night :/ This morning they were begging me for more. Little monsters.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At least you have something you can do with them. We got some more rain last night but it was a nice rain that soaked into the ground. All the bad stuff was north and south of us and we were on the very edge of the rain. Looks like more storms are heading our way though. It will be interesting to see if we get hit or not. Seems to be mainly to the north of us. Hopefully you won't get any more rain.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Javamama said:
:barnie Blossom end rot on ALL of my peppers. 20+ pepper plants of different varieties - in 2 different gardens. I know it's supposed to be caused by calcium def., but I am sure this ridiculous weather set it off. We got so much rain last week and then it got hot. Plus something ate one of them down to a stub. :hit Sigh. And here comes more rain. Seriously, mother nature - there ARE areas that need rain.
"Water" it with some milk for blossom end rot. It was starting on my plants last year. I mixed up some (nasty stuff) milk powder and water and poured it around the roots. Pulled off the maters that had rot on them. They went back to producing good ones, for the rest of the season. Hint- I bought a cheap transmission fluid funnel to use in the garden. Push the long spout into the ground then pour stuff that could stink like milk or fish emulsion down to the roots.

S

sunsaver

dragonlaurel said:
Javamama said:
:barnie Blossom end rot on ALL of my peppers. 20+ pepper plants of different varieties - in 2 different gardens. I know it's supposed to be caused by calcium def., but I am sure this ridiculous weather set it off. We got so much rain last week and then it got hot. Plus something ate one of them down to a stub. :hit Sigh. And here comes more rain. Seriously, mother nature - there ARE areas that need rain.
"Water" it with some milk for blossom end rot. It was starting on my plants last year. I mixed up some (nasty stuff) milk powder and water and poured it around the roots. Pulled off the maters that had rot on them. They went back to producing good ones, for the rest of the season. Hint- I bought a cheap transmission fluid funnel to use in the garden. Push the long spout into the ground then pour stuff that could stink like milk or fish emulsion down to the roots.
Heavy rains can leach out the soil calcium, and/or prevent it's uptake by the tomato plants. spreading a 1/4 cup of bone meal around each tomato plant will prevent the blossom end rot during rainy spells. Powdered milk will do the same thing, and often those of us who get commodity food assistance from the USDA have more of that than we can use. Bone meal is more slow release, and will prevent future episodes of blossom end rot. We get a lot of hurricanes here, so i know what you are going through. Try the milk or bone meal. I'm sure it will help, at least with the end rot.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll get some calcium on them soon. Wish I could do something about the rain - we got soaked again last night. I heard some places in Ohio got 4+ inches! No idea what our total was, but all the water buckets were full this morning. And now I'm battling hornworms on the tomatoes. I'm gloved up and ready for battle (I'm not touching those things with my bare hands! -does this mean I need to get a princess crown?)and a battalion of chickens by my side ready to gulp down the enemy :D (OFG's military jibberjabber is affecting me)

But no complaining today. I'm praising my Maker in spite of. :celebrate

EEK! I just looked at the calendar and realized the kids go back to school in one month. Now that the fair and 4-H is over a new phase of summer begins. The 'getting ready for school' phase. Orientations, shopping for supplies, shoes, clothes. Easing the kids back onto a sleep schedule. All in the midst of harvesting and canning. I love this time of year.