JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
They DO live on land where the water table is high. It is a weird thing to see a bunch of them with their little city of holes. We used to have crawdads living like that at our old 4-H building.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We don't have them living on land around here. I've only seen them in water, and then only if I'm doing a lake study w/my 4 H nature club kids. That's one of their favorite activities.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
They DO live on land where the water table is high. It is a weird thing to see a bunch of them with their little city of holes. We used to have crawdads living like that at our old 4-H building.
Yup, our water table is very high here. UGH! This time of year especially!! I cant dig a hole...more than 3 or 4 inches, it fills up with water. Makes planting trees especially hard. :/ Later in the summer, they push up the mud, into what we call mud castles. Some reach 8 to 10 inches tall! Its hard on the mowers...so I will pay my grandson 25 cents a piece...to knock em down. Some days, he makes more than hubby does! LOL

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I did not know that. I've only ever seen them in the water. Huh, you learn something new every day!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
13 March 2011

Yesterday was a busy day....whew, and I am feeling it today!
It started actually...Friday. I was out at the turkey coop, and realised thier yard is just...well...soupy mud. Its so bad that I was getting stuck in the mud, and the turkeys were haveing a hard time walking in there...so, I decided to move the turkeys to the large coop, with a much drier run. Moveing them was easy..however....that run did not have a cover on it. So, yesterday, I got up and proceeded to put fencing over thier new run. Not a feat someone should take on alone...with 5 large turkeys, a ladder, and fencing. Needless to say several times I had a "visitor" / "helper" on my ladder with me. :rolleyes: I was able to finally get the top on the run...after about an hour or so. Now just to waite for thier old run to dry up a bit. Then I went to the small garden. Time to getr the peas and beets planted. I was able to get 2 rows of peas in....but will have to finish the beets today. I have this large pen behind the big coop...its about 6 ft long...3 ft wide, and 2 1/2 ft tall....it sits on a table type frame...so it is about 3 ft off the ground. I decided this would make a great brooder, for baby ducks...since I have 30+ duck eggs in the bator, it was time to get something figured out.:cool: It sits in a sunny spot, well, sorta...it gets sun after about 2 pm untill about 6 pm. It is mostly covered from the overhang of the coop...and, being it has a wire bottom, and its outside, its perfect for messy ducks!! So, I covered one end to keep the wind out, and hold the heat in.
99_duckbrooder1.jpg

Then I put vaneer type wood pannels on 2/3 of the floor....the 1/3 end thats not covered will be where I set thier water and feed. This will be able to fall through to the ground.
99_duckbrooder2.jpg

I will be able to run a heat light in there...and keep them warm for the first few weeks.
So, the duck brooder is finished...whew! glad thats done. Now...for today....I plan to get the beets planted...and get the pigeous moved outside....into thier new pen, and the pen I have for them inside the coop, will be the chick brooder...since both my other chick brooders are being used by broody hens. I want to get the grapes pulled back up on the harbor today as well...and start planning out the new hog pen.Another busy day! I LOVE IT!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:frow

I need to clean the hay out of a rabbit hutch after church and maybe let Momma and her babies out.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow BB. Its supposed to be really nice today..so letting them out for a bit of fresh air is a great idea. AND, it will help " harden off" the wee ones. Momma will be able to keep them warm when they get a chill. Have a great day!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I had a day like that yesterday as well. Hope you can rest a bit today, but for me at least, it seems to only get worse each day at this time of year. :p

I really like your outside brooder! The only was to go with poopy ducks.