JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I loved reading this. Especially the weaving drunken path bit - for me it is chickens between my feet instead of cats - but same result.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rathbone said:
I loved reading this. Especially the weaving drunken path bit - for me it is chickens between my feet instead of cats - but same result.
LOL, I do that some days....when I let the chickens out. My barn is on the S side of the driveway, and the chickens KNOW BETTER than to cross the driveway. Yup, I have them trained. LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another frosty morning here. Brrr, 26 degrees. First things first, got the wood stove going. Hoping to keep the furnace from coming on...it is set at 65, it was on when I got up this morning. Hearing that furnace run, sounds like burning money. UGH! ( propane furnace)
So, get the fire going, then make coffee...and settle in to wake up a bit, before heading outside. I got a little wrapped up in E Mail....and glanced out to see it was FULL daylight! YIKES! Off to a late start. I downed my coffee, dressed for the cold and grabbed the milk bucket. Out I go. With a scoop of cat food in one hand, my bucket in the other, ready for the onslaught of feline furry...I step out. NO CATS!! :/ I looked around, shook the cat can...and called to them. It was like little orange and black cockroaches...they popped out from various places...a few from the small coop, one from the thicket, here comes a few more from the shop. Guess they were not waiting on me to get out there this morning. Once everyone is accounted for and eating, I head to the barn, with my Kiki in tow. Well...sorta in tow, he leads..then follows, then leads, then follows...hence the "drunken path" LOL The sheep are bawling me out for being late. ( really I was only about 30 minutes late, jeesh) In the barn I am welcomed by squealing piggies and a very impatient dairy goat...stomping her feet at me. :rolleyes: I rush to mix the feed, and get everyone settled in munching on breakfast. Whew, I think they all forgive me! LOL
Off to the coops, the big coop first...roosters crowing at me to LET THEM OUT! LOL As I enter each pen to open the doors....I am tripping over chickens eager to get out in the sunshine. One pen at a time...I fill feeders and water cans...and scoop out a few nest boxes. Nothing like fresh chicken poop under the finger nails in the morning. :sick The goose is, in the meantime, screaming at me as well.....WOW they are loud!!! I pick up a kitten to cuddle on the way to the smaller coop, the Duck hut. Me and kitten have a chat, she purring along to every word and cuddling my face. So soft and warm... :love
Fed the ducks and turkeys...and headed to the house. Stoked the fire...now I am going to go grind a few wheat berries...and make a bit of bread. I didn't remember to soak them..so will have to work with them like they are. I will start some to soak and make BETTER bread next week. :drool
Yesterday I dried some pumpkin seeds, then ground them to a fine powder to add ot the dog and cats food, for worming I need to do more...Oh, and try to get those other pumpkins today. Im off...the list keeps growing! LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, today is BLUSTERY! The winds are kicking in at 20 to 30 mph, and gusting to 40. Batten down the hatches...we are going to blow away! After getting all the animals settled for the morning, I came back inside...just can't deal with those winds! So, I have to make a confession here....I was given 7 or 8...maybe 10....I don't know..of the #10 cans..of wheat berries. I put them on the shelf....thinking to myself....self, we need to explore those a bit one day. Well..today was the day. I have NEVER ground my own flour... :hide The whole process seemed to intimidate me a little..ok, a LOT. But this morning, I dove in. Opened a can, tiny little things those wheat berries are. Not so intimidating after all.
99_dsc01940.jpg

So I started to grinding them....into flour. I made about 2 cups, enough for pancakes. I figured if I make bacon, eggs, and pancakes..and we don't like the pancakes, we will at least have the bacon and eggs... LOL
99_dsc01941.jpg

The pancakes turned out GREAT!!!! A little milk, and an egg..and about a tsp of baking soda...
99_dsc01942.jpg

I set them in front of hubby...he is a skeptic...but he liked them! Woohoo! Now, I will have to try bread...Hmmmm, wish me luck!!
GO ME! LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats!!!! Such a wholesome fresh breakfast. You can simmer those wheat berries until tender and sprinkle them in yogurt. Yum!!!

So what type of grinder did you use????

G

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Congrats!!!! Such a wholesome fresh breakfast. You can simmer those wheat berries until tender and sprinkle them in yogurt. Yum!!!

So what type of grinder did you use????

G
Well........now thats sorta embarrassing..I used a coffee grinder. :hide I have a big, HEAVY electric grain mill...but I didnt want to drag it out just yet. The coffee grinder worked well!!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
That's good to know. I have a little electric coffee bean grinder. I will have to try it.

G
I am sure that a "real" mill would make the flour more...fluffy?? I don't know.....but it was good! Can only do a little at a time, but...we don't really use that much flour..so, it works for us. Now, when I go to make bread, I will probably dig out the big guns!

So, this evening...I headed out to do the animal chores. The wind almost knocked me off my feet. One step forward, two steps back a few times. They are blowing 20 to 30 mph, and gusting at 40. Finally get to the barn and get everyone settled in for the evening and head to the coops. Hubby came along to help....well....to keep me company, LOL He did fill the water bucket for me to fill the chicken waterers. However, the lights are on a timer, and had not come on yet, so I opened the door to the turkey yard for light. As I was closing the door, the wind caught the door, and SLAMMED it on 3 of my fingers....splitting one of them open. Hubby just stood there, mouth hanging open....staring...while I cussed and carried on. He then backed out of the coop. LOL So, I finished everything up and headed to the house. Cleaned it up, not really too bad, just bled a lot. UGH Fixed beef ravioli's and salad, with french style bread for supper, and had an Angel food cake with strawberries on top. Now I need to clean the kitchen, make coffee, get my shower, and snuggle in for the night.