JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Snapshot....they are getting more active each day. Today I was out there with them for a few minutes....and the little boy was rubbing up on my legs...wanting lovin. LOL

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ah for a half a millisecond i wanted goats again ;) They sure are cute little buggers Justy! I hope his ears stay floppy!!! They're adorable that way! I love the white outline of those ears...just too cute! :love

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
beautiful

in terms of names:

Pheobe, Artemis and Selene are greek godesses of the moon
Mani is a norse god of the moon
Bader means "Full moon"
Deva is a hindu moon goddess

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
beautiful

in terms of names:

Pheobe, Artemis and Selene are greek godesses of the moon
Mani is a norse god of the moon
Bader means "Full moon"
Deva is a hindu moon goddess
Thanks for those name ideas.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, the other day hubby was talking with a guy he works with, about gardening and canning. Hubby was telling him how I can everything I can get my hands on, and make jellies....and jams with anything I can! So he asks hubby...." do you all like blackberries" Yup, hubby said...when we can find them. So this guy said...he has a large patch, and when they come in, he will let us know, we can pick all we want! FREE! Then he proceeded to tell hubby he would bring some to work, frozen from last year. The next day, he brought in 2 gallons.....he said another friend picked this patch, just a few hours, and walked out with 7 gallons of berries! Hubby brought the berries home, I froze one bag, and made a cobbler with the other, and hubby shared with his friend. His friend then said...." would you all like a few starts off my patch"?? WOULD WE!?? Ohhh yeah!! So, this morning I wake to 2 buckets full of starts, NICE starts, most about 3 ft tall.....thornless blackberries! He said if any don't make it, let him know and he will give us more! FREE!!!!!
Then, later this morning, my friend calls me. This is the friend I got my Suzie from last year. ( Alpine doe) She had another doe....Abby. Well, my friend has decided to go with La Mancha's instead of Alpines, and wanted to know if I wanted Abby...4 yr old, registered doe, in milk..... FREE!!!! So, here is my new doe. Meet Abby!

99_dsc02906.jpg

She is a WONDERFUL doe, calm,easy going, gentle..and a good milker! She was milked through winter without breeding last fall, and still gives about 3 quarts a day!!! I plan to dry her off in a few weeks....as I will be milking Suzie once the kids wean...then breed them both this fall. I will be drowning in milk...I can't wait! Isn't she beautiful!???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Man, did you hit the jackpot!!!!! What great scores, Just!!!! The blackberries are going to do great this year judging by all the bloom we are seeing around here, so you should be up to your ears in berries. Just think of all that blackberry cobbler....... :drool

Although I think you went over to the dark side when you started messing with goats... :sick she is a very nice looking doe. Can you make cream from goat's milk to pour over berries? :drool

This is gonna be your summer, ain't it? :D Congrats on the wonderful freebies! :celebrate

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's wonderful! I had raspberries come up in my yard from who knows where and while they're delicious, I've often wished they were thornless.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How wonderful! We absolutely love blackberries so I share your joy there, and your new doe is beautiful--what a gift :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Bee....I have been on " the dark side" for just about a year now. I had been having "issues" with my bowels.....a friend asked if I was drinking cows milk, and even though I had not been drinking it, some times I would have oats with milk on it....or cooking gravy and such.....so she recommended I try goats milk....Guess what? NO PROBLEMS! That is when I got my first girl...Suzie. She is a dream milker. Once fresh....she gives 3 to 4 quarts a day. Since she is with kids, I can't milk her...and have not had milk since October. Tummy issues are back. Now I have Abby....and she is in milk. I am so excited to "feel better" again. She isn't "fresh" and gives just over 2 quarts a day.! I will be swimming in milk! I will be trying my hand at hard cheeses soon. :D Guess what the family will be getting for Christmas this year!?? Yup, Cheese and jams! LOL Like it or not!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrat's on your awesome scores! :celebrate

It's looking like we're going to have a good blackberry crop here this year, too! :fl