JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My kids are deathly afrade of wasps. They land on me and I just give them a quick flick and they are gone.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
W/the size of it, I'm wondering if it's a queen!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
OK, what a way to end this day! I was hot, tired, and sore....so I decided to go take a long hot shower.....relaxing!! I was feeling pretty good....and walked into the kitchen to get one more cup of coffee....when I saw this!! It was sitting on the kitchen floor....DAREING me to walk in. I think I peed a little...so after I got it in the jar, back to the shower. This is ONE BIG HORNET!!!!!! Now I will have to watch where they are building the nest...and try to destroy it. *shivers* these things freak me out!!!

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/99_dsc02930.jpg
I can't be sure ftom the photo but I think you either have a "bee wolf" or a cicada killer wasp These are big solitary grownd nesting wasps that hunt other insects to reproduce. Their sting will leave the prey alive but unable to move an egg will be layed and when it hatvhes the larve has a nice live source of food. Fun right? The Bee Wolf preys on honey bees While the cicada killer is even larger since they fly back to their nest carrying the live prey [Cicada are those fairly large insects That spend most of there life underground. Comes to the surface and part way up a tree thunk where they shed their skin into a flying form and make a really loud racket trying to attract a mate] they just about drive me nuts during the heat of the summer.
They usually don't sting anysting larger then their prey.~gd

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
justusnak said:
OK, what a way to end this day! I was hot, tired, and sore....so I decided to go take a long hot shower.....relaxing!! I was feeling pretty good....and walked into the kitchen to get one more cup of coffee....when I saw this!! It was sitting on the kitchen floor....DAREING me to walk in. I think I peed a little...so after I got it in the jar, back to the shower. This is ONE BIG HORNET!!!!!! Now I will have to watch where they are building the nest...and try to destroy it. *shivers* these things freak me out!!!

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/99_dsc02930.jpg
I can't be sure ftom the photo but I think you either have a "bee wolf" or a cicada killer wasp These are big solitary grownd nesting wasps that hunt other insects to reproduce. Their sting will leave the prey alive but unable to move an egg will be layed and when it hatvhes the larve has a nice live source of food. Fun right? The Bee Wolf preys on honey bees While the cicada killer is even larger since they fly back to their nest carrying the live prey [Cicada are those fairly large insects That spend most of there life underground. Comes to the surface and part way up a tree thunk where they shed their skin into a flying form and make a really loud racket trying to attract a mate] they just about drive me nuts during the heat of the summer.
They usually don't sting anysting larger then their prey.~gd
Eeewwwwwwww!! I don't like the idea of something eating me from the inside out. (Barfing smiley here)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
A cicada killer was my first thought, but I don't think it is. I'm pretty sure this one is too yellow. I'd never heard of a bee wolf, but looked it up. And, it could be. I couldn't find anything about the size of one. But, the color looks to be about right.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Vespa crabro AKA European hornet. The females can be much larger, up to 2 inches long. This looks like a male to me. This article says you can count the abdominal segments to tell male from female. We have a load of them around here, but I've never found a nest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_crabro

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Happy Mothers Day everyone! It is raining here, so no outside work for me today! Whoot!!! Well, other than the daily chores, feeding watering, milking. No working in the garden...no fixing fences...no pen building...Ahhh, sweet rain!
We worked hard yesterday...I had to tear the rabvbit hutch out, and completely rebuild it...Now it is a LOT more sturdy...safer...and the rabbits seem to be very happy! :) I am headed out there in a few to give them some "bunny crack" aka clover. :) they about climb my arms to get to it.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SERIOUSLY!! Are we headed into another full moon or what? Seems my animals are freaking out here...and NOT in a good way.
Yesterday, I had the chickens out all day...happy little chickens....eating bugs and such...and just about dark, I went out to put them up. I grab a small container of treats, and call them to me. They came running...as I was walking to the coop, everyone behind me, I noticed Jr was trying to get the girls to stop and follow him. They had nothing to do with it, mom has treats and they are hot on my heels. I am just about to the coop...when WHAM! Damn Jr gets me from behind, sinking his spurs into my left thigh!!!
99_dsc02961.jpg

I was like, OH HELL NO!! I chased that rooster for about 10 minutes, cornered him and snatched him right up. Had him by the wings and threw him over my leg and whipped the piss outta him, smacking his bum like a rotten kid! Then I grabbed his neck.....and I SOooooooooo wanted to just pop his head off...knowing I "need" this rooster to protect the girls when they are out...off to the shop we went...him screaming...the girls scattered into the thicket. I plopped him down on the work bench, eying the hatchet laying there, and reached for the wire cutters....OFF WITH THOSE SPURS! I did nip one a little short, it only bled a few seconds tho...then off to the coop...I THREW him into the coop. Now to get the girls to come out of the thicket..and into the coop. I grab the treat can and give it a shake...all but 2 cam out..and I was able to convince them I was not after them. I finally get the last 2 to come out...and they were almost in the coop, when the durned cat came to the door, hissing at the chickens...off they go to the thicket...kitty got a boot in the butt! Took me another 10 minutes to convince the girls to get into the coop. I warned Jr. That was his last chance...no more freebies....then, today is another day.
I go out to open the coops..decided today was not a good day to let them out free ranging...my leg is still hurting..and I have a lot to get done today. Can't be out there watching my back all day. Besides...after yesterday's beating....Jr will behave...right? Nope! As I walked by their yard, he charged the fence. Thats it!! Tomorrow he will be put out of MY misery...and in my pot!
So, I get the poultry all settled..and head to the barn. So far, so good...fed the sheep, pig, and get the feed for the pygmy and the donkey. As I enter the pasture, Fred, the pygmy buck comes running at me! WTH!???? I give him a quick boot to the nose. This usually works. NOT today....He was in some mood! I get his breakfast in his pan...and start walking away when I hear him rushing up behind me. I turned just in time....and was able to grab his horns before they made contact. He fought, grunted, gave me raspberries...we wrestled for a few minutes. I let him go...he backed up...I was thinking , OK, he has had enough, and was just about to turn to fill Freedoms dish, when Fred was on his hind legs, head tilted, coming at me AGAIN! I grabbed his collar...he was able to hook my hand with his horns.
99_dsc02967.jpg

NOW I am REALLY mad....I grabbed the small chain that hooks the fence and started swinging...he kept coming at me...I was able to make contact with his butt...he backed off. I backed away and was able to leave the pasture. My hand throbbing...back to the barn to milk my very docile Alpines. :/ Not this morning. I bring Suzie in for her hot compress and message treatment....put her food on the milking stand, like always...and she usually jumps right up there. Not this morning. I made several attempts trying to get her to lead into it, NOT happening. I had to pick up her front feet, put them in the stand, THEN she jumped in. I decided I would leash her up, while I was doing her treatment....just for safe measures. She actually stood great for it. It must feel good to get the pressure off.
Everyone was fed, milked....I got the milk put away, and went to the meat chicken pen. Now, those of us who have raised them, know they are mostly brainless..and just waddle to and fro...looking for food. Well.........this morning I step in, with the feed bucket in one hand, and water pail in the other....when one of the little fat cockerells comes running over, and pecks my ankle! REALLY!???????????? Just not having a good few days with the animals....I think I need a break! LOL