JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yup he is a good hearted guy. He does try to make my life easier, because he knows hubby doesnt have much to do with the animal aspect of the farm. :rolleyes: Come to think of it, he doesnt have anything to do with the garden part either. :/
BUT, he DOES support my "habit" of wanting to be SS and provides me with the support I need.
Today I went to the barn early, and finished the second stall. This one is by the new door, so when I unload the truck, I can close the gate, and keep the sheep in....and not have to lock them out of the barn completely. Hubby had to go to Ohio, and take BIL home, and deliver our old couch and chair to his sister. SO GLAD to have that out of the garage! After they left I went to the Turkey yard, and finished putting netting over it. The babies will be flying soon...so better safe than sorry. I lost one in the last bunch, it flew out, and into the Barred Rock pen....needless to say, the BR DONT like turkey pullets...it didnt survive. :( Came inside after I finished that...drank a few glasses of water, then headed back out to construct a "playpen" for my other turkey poults. I have 7 more for sale and needed to get them in an outside pen. Almost finished...but I need more netting for the top. That will have to waite until tomorrow....hubby has my truck, and I will NOT drive his unless its an emergency. Its an old rustbucket, and I can barely reach the peddals. :lol:
OH, I got word from my Oldest son in OKC, he will be sending his 3 boys here for a few days with my other son...who is coming to round up a few legal issues. They will be staying here for 3 days. :weee I havent seen my grandsons in almost 5 years!!! They are 9,7, and 5. I am sooo excited!!! My son who is bringing them will be bringing his 3 yr old son as well...I havent seen him in just over a year. 4 of my 5 grandsons will be here....for 3 days!! :celebrate :weee They will be here Monday morning, so I wont be back on for a few days...I wont miss ONE MINUTE with these boys. I was talking to the oldest grandson...and when he got off the phone, he told his mom..." Grandma REALLY wants us to come visit her" When his mom t6old him the plan..he said..." We have a LOT of catching up to do" :love I might just have to steal that one! :love I was telling the 7 yr old on the phone...I got piggies..he said. " Thats nice" :gig Then I told him about the sheep and he said " thats nice as well" :gig When I was talking to the youngest...he said..." grandma, I been playing, thats what kids do you know, its a lot of fun" :lol: I can't waite to get them here. :celebrate

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Great that you will get to see them. You should have a really good time getting to know them better! :)

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
I am excited for you! How wonderful to be able to spend time with them. :clap

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I talk to them a few times a month..but its just not the same. I want to hold them, ( if I can..im sure they are too big for me to cuddle now :( ) We can all cuddle on the couch if nothing else. :cool: Im gonna spoil them ROTTEN, for the few days I can....I dont know how long it will be untill I can see them again. I hate not seeing my grandkids grow up. Guess I will be bakeing tomorrow...whats a good grandma without fresh baked chocolate chip cookies!? :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Will you be MY grandma? :drool That is the next step in this life, isn't it? Getting to be a grandma! I so hope I measure up when it comes my turn....I'm not much of the baking cookies kind of granny, you know?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Bee, sure...I will be your granny, but...I think we might be pretty close in age...people might talk! LOL But, I will bake ya cookies when you visit! ;) I dont bake in the summer months, usually..but come fall, and winter..I am like a bakery! I LOVE to bake...anything.
Now dont you worry....Bee, you will be a GREAT grandma...I am sure. Its not all about bakeing cookies. I have one grandson that lives close, he doesnt eat cookies. LOL But, give that kid a salad..and he is happy! He LOVES fresh broccoli. :cool:
I just got an E Mail.....my grandsons will be here today! Sometime around noon I am thinking. :weee They left around midnight....from OKC. Its about a 12 hr drive. They wanted to leave at night, so the kids will sleep most of the trip. Thats how hubby and I always made the trip.....with 4 kids.
So, I guess I need to go get things ready...they will be wanting to eat when they get here. :D I get to feed MORE !! WoohoO!! LOVE feeding people.
I will catch up with you all in a few days...be good...and PROSPER!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Mee too justusnak! I have heard people complain about folks or friends dropping by and staying to dinner and I never understood that. I love to cook - especially for a crowd!

I cooked the "Wednesday Night dinner for our church for several years - until my work hours changed. That was a dinner for 50+/- every week. They let me do the shopping and the planning as well and while it was some work, I loved it! Our church has a nice commercial style kitchen and there was always someone who would stop by after the dinner and help with clean up! Best of ALL!:D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
3 July 09

I dont know if I wnat to sigh...or cry... The grandkids are gone. :( They all left last night. It has been such a full week. I can't believe how much they have grown, and matured. The oldest, Patric, is now almost 10. :th They sure make a woman feel OLD!! :lol: He was the biggest help around the farm. Of course none of them have ever been around animals other than dogs and cats...so they were all excited to help with the animals. Day one they kept asking if it was time to " harvest eggs" :lol: I told them I collected around 6pm, every day...and let me tell you...they watched the clock...or asked the time every day...and was " johnny on the spot" at 6 pm. :lol:
Our poor piggies had gotten sunburned....they were barn raised prior to me getting them, and instincts didnt kick in...so bright pink pigs! The boys got a kick out of that...poor piggies. Then from the sunburn itching, they were rubbing thier sides on the hut so much, they split thier skin, so I sprayed them with wound kote. Yup....pink and purple pigs!! They boys were off playing when I went in there to spray..and when they realised what I had done...they literally were rolling on the ground, laughing!
99_purplefemalepig09.jpg

I have to admit, they were "pretty" :gig
Our county fair is this week, so I HAD to take them to the fair.( I will worry about the money we spent later :th ) The only thing that mattered at that time, was that my boys had a great time. Rides, games, animal barns...we did it all.! As they were getting ready to leave...the oldest told his brother... " that was the BEST 4 days of my life" :hit Yup, the water works started. I woke this morning to a pile of empty blankets waiting to be washed...and empty pillows. :( The house is quiet once again...just the sound of the washing machine going...and the hum of the computer. I MISS MY BABIES!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
4 July 09
HAPPY 4TH of JULY Everyone!! I hope you all have a fun, but safe, holiday. Our plans are tentative. Hubby is going to go get some firewood...if it doesnt rain. If the rain is off and on...he will split what we have here....if it rains all day, he will be working on the computer.
For me....feed and water animals...as usual...and work in the garden. I didnt get to weed much while the grandbabies were here..so I really need to get some weeds pulled.
OH, and....play with my new lamb...Mary.

99_mary.jpg

Mary was hand raised...by the same lady I got the others from. She was super tiny when she was born, and rejected by her momma. She has never been with sheep....so she thinks she is a person. She will follow me around the yard happy as can be, but put her in wiht the other sheep, and she BAWLS! :th She is terrified of the other sheep. Poor baby. It breaks my heart to hear her bawl, but she NEEDS to learn, she is a sheep.... right? :/
Oh, on the firewood....my hubby got a call from a guy at work. He had a new home built last summer...and they dropped a "few" trees. MOST of the wood was cut into 18 inch logs, and sat all winter. He asked hubby if we wanted " some firewood" Hubby told him we would, and asked about how much are we talking?? 25 to 30 RICKS!!!!!!!! :celebrate We will have enough for us, and to help other families with free wood. :thumbsup Guess our weekends are pretty much lined up, as to what we will be doing! LOL
"tut tut it looks like rain" I better get my behind out there.
Have fun everyone, and be safe!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Great pics, J! I have never seen a purple and pink pig; poor piggies. Perhaps Mary is there to help fill that gap left by the grands' leaving! :hugs What a blessing to be getting all that wood - and already cut! Have a grand day!