kid watch, IT'S A BOY! pix p. 6

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
pictures tonight!

I don't think he's eaten yet, and is looking tired....I tried to position him, he doesn't latch on. He does have a sucking reflex, I milked a bit onto my hand and tried to get the taste into his mouth....momma has a big, low udder and he is a tall-ish boy, and he goes too high when searching.

I could handle foals, kids seem to be different.....this is much too long, though, especially in this cold. Any ideas?

If I don't hear from anyone, I will try to find a baby bottle in town and get a little into him within the hour.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Put your finger in his mouth....if it is cool or cold, you might want to milk mama and bottle feed him until he and/or she catches on to this whole mama/kid thingy! ;)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Persistance is needed- his and yours and mom's. I have actually taken the teat, opened the kid's mouth and stuck the teat in. Of course the kid immediately backs up and spits it out. Usually I express a little colostrum on the tip and put the kid's mouth to it. Sooner or later he will figure it out.
The best is to be able to kind of put the teat in the path where the kid is searching anyway.
I know almost all will figure it out all by themselves but I usually want to get to bed so need to see the kid is ok and drinking asap.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
He was born about 4 hours ago and I don't think he's nursed. Maybe he did, I left them several times. He passed the poop.

His mouth is not cold, nor is his body (wearing a heavy puppy coat) but his ears are very cold. DH apparently took all the car keys with him today, I gave him mine since I had the school keys, but he must've taken his, too. So I can't get to the store to get a bottle!!!! He won't be home until after 6:30 or 7pm. He leaves his phone off, and no one is in the office on the weekend afternoons. I left messages just in case, but no reply. With friends, too.

Neighbors with babies are not home.

I tried using a rubber glove. Covered both of us with milk. Maybe got a few drops in his mouth. He was unimpressed.

Getting his mouth on momma is not working. I only tried maybe half-dozen times, how much is too much interference....I wish I knew if he got anything when I wasn't looking.

I am thinking of using a syringe (no needle) to force a bit of milk down his throat....waddaya think? Can he go 7 hours????? :barnie

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Congrats Granny! I can't seem to find it. What breed? How cool it must have to have him come out while you were on the phone. Hope he starts eating soon. :cool:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, it is awesome, but I can't relax until I KNOW he has eaten. At least I saw him poop.

His pop was Boer and mom looks like a Boer cross. I'll let y'all decide when I post pics! He is mostly black with a white patch.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I used a 3 cc syringe to get a little milk into him, then got a bottle and got him to suck. Then he went after mama with some enthusiasm twice, I felt I could leave him and get some sleep tonight. Of course, I will check on them later before bed!

Pictures to follow. I have to remember how do download them. Might take me a bit of time.....

Can't figure it out....did it before, but I give up!!!