Kind of obvious - Hang out your clothes

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's one you may not of thought of,

When it's raining or very humid you can hang clothes in a large closet and use a small, low power dehumidifier or low watt circulator fan inside the closet. This is what we do May- November. Usually at off peak electric rate times, 11pm-7am, cause it's cheaper.

yes that tiny thing is a dehumidifier

Here it's very humid most of the year, summer is incredibly bad. Winter is not a problem because we have a woodstove, and it's a problem keeping the humidity up in winter

Clothes dryers are rare here, I don't know of anyone who has one, besides, dryers shorten the lifespan of clothes IMO.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks for passing along a great tip!!!
Pretty closet area!!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wow, nice closet. It looks like it could be a little room.

Welcome to the forum! look forward to your input.

I know this is off topic, but I notice you are in Japan.
How does the self sufficiency thing go there? Is it common practice in the area where you are lilving or are you a freak like me, since there are only three people in my town that keep chickens.:)

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi Farmer Chick and The Simple Life,

I live on the edge of a small village, in a small mountain town an hour and a world away from a city.

I'm the only one in my village with any animals, but lots of people down the valley have chickens and goats.

Most people in my village have always lived rather sustainably I believe. Everyone gardens intensively, and or farms rice for the family. But the rice farmers use lots of chemicals.

Half the people heat the bath with wood, and all only minimally heat their houses with kerosene or charcoal. Everyone uses bicycles and scooters as well as mini-cars.

It's basically always been this way cept for the chemicals, kerosene, and scooters and cars.

People are however rather ignorant about pollution and littering.

In the city obviously people don't live too sustainably, but most people really conserve resources being that everything is so expensive.

There is a small back to the country movement going on which I'll try to post more on later.

Looking forward to posting and reading with you all,

johnE

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We hung our laundry out all summer long. We didn't have a dryer at the time, so we sorta had to. But we did have a dryer last summer and we still used the closeline. It saves on our summer electric bill.

Now that colder weather is coming, we will still hang laundry out on the warmest days, but usually during the winter we try to do laundry so that we can have the dryer running either right when we go to bed, to help keep the house warm, or first thing in the morning to help with the warmth. Our only source of heat is the woodburner, so using the dryer during the coldest parts of the day helps with keeping warm.

We only have a dryer now because my husband found a like new maytag for $20 at a yardsale ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We only have a dryer now because my husband found a like new maytag for $20 at a yardsale

*********NOW that is a bargain! Great deal!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
We only have a dryer now because my husband found a like new maytag for $20 at a yardsale

*********NOW that is a bargain! Great deal!
Yup! that's what I said!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
We hung our laundry out all summer long. We didn't have a dryer at the time, so we sorta had to. But we did have a dryer last summer and we still used the closeline. It saves on our summer electric bill.

Now that colder weather is coming, we will still hang laundry out on the warmest days, but usually during the winter we try to do laundry so that we can have the dryer running either right when we go to bed, to help keep the house warm, or first thing in the morning to help with the warmth. Our only source of heat is the woodburner, so using the dryer during the coldest parts of the day helps with keeping warm.

We only have a dryer now because my husband found a like new maytag for $20 at a yardsale ;)
:woot

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm still hanging out laundry, but I can only get one load dried a day, unfortunately, not enough clothesline and not enough daylight!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Same here. I have sheets out there now but jeans in the dryer. I hope to do a load of shirts tomorrow and hang those out. The birds are freaking out because they can't go to the side yard without doing battle with flapping sheets. Silly creatures!