Kind of obvious - Hang out your clothes

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Still hanging mine out too! Although yesterday I got them off the line just in time as it rained & hailed(between pea & marble sized) everything was still wet this afternoon as the temp has been down too. I am not complaining believe me as the ac has been off for over a week now & the ceiling fans have not been on 24/7 either just a few on a few days & open windows too! :woot

Urban Farms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I read that the dryer cost $1 an hour and since my family does about 8 loads a day (12 people mostly kids) that is a lot we hang everything and then put towels and underwear in the dryer for a few minutes and then it is soft and cheap!

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hang all laundry out in the summer, and next to the woodstove once it's freezing out. I don't have a crunchy towel problem--maybe it's because I wash by hand, or maybe this is to do with whether water is soft or hard? The soap I use is generic dish soap from the dollar store, and I'm not obsessive about rinsing every last bit out, so maybe that helps keep it soft???

No, I don't have kids. Yes, I keep enough changes of clothing to tide me over if I don't feel like doing laundry or if it's taking too long to dry (jeans can be two days in winter vs. an afternoon in summer).

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My electric bill has hit a new low. $51.43. Last July we used 447 kWh. This July it was 316 kWh. I attribute this to a bit of a cool end of June/beginning of July (the billing period is actually from the 18th to the 18th of each month) and not using the dryer at all. I love it!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Since I hung the clothes line, we have had the wettest, coolest summer in decades. :p

Yes, I single-handedly eliminated the Colorado drought.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
My electric bill has hit a new low. $51.43. Last July we used 447 kWh. This July it was 316 kWh. I attribute this to a bit of a cool end of June/beginning of July (the billing period is actually from the 18th to the 18th of each month) and not using the dryer at all. I love it!
way to go Reinbeau!!!! congrats on a low bill....always NICE!!!!

this month was my highest...$132---(last year was about $180 so I did cut down nicely)

running AC and pool...UGH

but I am happy with that right now and will drop it a ton in Sept.....no such luck for August in NC though........LOL

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Since I hung the clothes line, we have had the wettest, coolest summer in decades. :p

Yes, I single-handedly eliminated the Colorado drought.
ROFLMAO! I wondered who the culprit was!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Beekissed, we need to rent ourselves out to the state of Texas :D