"Kitchen herbalism" for colds and flu

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok, I'm one of those skeptical people that doesn't believe anything unless there is SOME kind of evidence.
I DO believe in some herbal remedies but not until I research them.

If you are in the mood for some heavy reading and have a little bit of knowledge about research studies check out this link for colds/flu...

http://www.monvalleyhospital.com/healthlibrary.asp

Oops - I see that's a general link. Go to Natural and Alternative Treatments on that page and then conditions and pick colds/flu or whatever else you need.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
claud said:
Ok, I'm one of those skeptical people that doesn't believe anything unless there is SOME kind of evidence.
I DO believe in some herbal remedies but not until I research them.

If you are in the mood for some heavy reading and have a little bit of knowledge about research studies check out this link for colds/flu...

http://www.monvalleyhospital.com/healthlibrary.asp

Oops - I see that's a general link. Go to Natural and Alternative Treatments on that page and then conditions and pick colds/flu or whatever else you need.
Ok Wifey....you have your assignment. :bun

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm astounded that that hospital has advice for the use of Homeopathy!

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Mackay said:
I'm astounded that that hospital has advice for the use of Homeopathy!
Our hospital used to have that exact same page on their site but they dropped it - I think they had to pay something to have it.

I refer to it often to see what the latest is on natural remedies.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Part of why people get sick in winter is the lack of vit D. There's been a lot of research in the last 10 years to show that vit D is a supporter of the immune system. So either go outside or take those supplements. I think the reccomendation is something like 2000 iu's a day. It's helped keep me healthy. Now, if anyone can find a way to get rid of my migraines that I haven't already tried, I'll be eternally grateful. :D

leenie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ginger is a favorite remedy in our home. I also like hot lemonade with or without the ginger added and plenty of local, organic honey. Amazing how effective ginger is! I've made these items into a bath for young children and babies although you need to go light on the ginger with them since they are so responsive. I put too much into a bath for my daughter when she was young and she got overly agitated and too warm. Good stuff!

Also, MorelCabin, I love that turnip idea. I detest turnips (The only vegetable I don't like!??!) but my husband loves them. I want to try this.

Thanks!;):thumbsup

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Vitamin A is also lacking, although the medical community seems to be only aware of D right now. :rolleyes: You can't get REAL, natural, oil-soluble Vitamin A in supplement form unless through wild cod-liver oil or high-vitamin butter oil from cows pastured on rapidly growing grass.

This is one of the reasons I have pastured hens....the yolks are loaded with A & D! I long for butter from pastured cows, but will settle for full-fat goat's milk from pastured goats.

What is listed on supplements as vitamin A is a precursor, and not the same thing at all. Vitamin A got a bad rap as being dangerous with a synthetic version was on the market, which was quite poisonous.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
leenie said:
Ginger is a favorite remedy in our home. I also like hot lemonade with or without the ginger added and plenty of local, organic honey. Amazing how effective ginger is! I've made these items into a bath for young children and babies although you need to go light on the ginger with them since they are so responsive. I put too much into a bath for my daughter when she was young and she got overly agitated and too warm. Good stuff!

Also, MorelCabin, I love that turnip idea. I detest turnips (The only vegetable I don't like!??!) but my husband loves them. I want to try this.

Thanks!;):thumbsup
Hey Leenie!! Welcome to sufficientself!! :welcome

:thumbsup

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Vitamin A is also lacking, although the medical community seems to be only aware of D right now. :rolleyes: You can't get REAL, natural, oil-soluble Vitamin A in supplement form unless through wild cod-liver oil or high-vitamin butter oil from cows pastured on rapidly growing grass.

This is one of the reasons I have pastured hens....the yolks are loaded with A & D! I long for butter from pastured cows, but will settle for full-fat goat's milk from pastured goats.

What is listed on supplements as vitamin A is a precursor, and not the same thing at all. Vitamin A got a bad rap as being dangerous with a synthetic version was on the market, which was quite poisonous.
I didn't know this about vit A. We do pasture our hens. But man, everywhere I look lately it seems that there are signs that I need to get a dairy cow. Anyone know where I could get a good devon heifer on the cheap? :D