Kitty Litter Containers

SillySoap

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
denicerlewis said:
This may sound silly, but where do I find the "where am I, where are you' section" on this website?:)
Here is a link http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4

But to help you later, at the top of each page you will see Index>> (the name of whatever section you are in) you can click on index to take you back to all the different subjects or the section if that is where you want to go.

zippitydooda

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
~gd said:
Well I have 10 filled with water which I use to flush toilets if the power to the well pump fails. Each container eguals one flush! [drinking water is kept in drinking water jugs]
We do this as well. I put a cap full of bleach in each one and tighten the lid really well. Then they go in the crawl space for storage. Two sit behind the upstairs potty & I use one every day to carry water out to the chickens. Since we put a small amount of bleach in each one (except the chicken water one) we don't drink it, but it keeps the water from getting slimy.

I was thinking these would make good funnels or scoops too.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
SillySoap said:
I have used them so far for nest boxes for my chickens. The next one is ear marked for watering my new grapevine that was planted, putting a hole in the bottom for a slow soak.

Mine are scented so I guess I can't use them to store beans & pasta! :(

They could be used for container gardening.
I cannot see any of my hens fitting into my containers :( But then, if I push her in there a little bit...nah, I better not.
See, I can see where you might think that :) But we use the 27# tidy cat containers, which are the yellow buckets with the blue lids. we cut the blue lid in half, so it creates a sort of lip on the nest, fill the bottom half, and let them at them. We have both bantam and standard chickens here. Our australorp and easter egger both use them, as well as the wyandottes and the bantams :) So, unless you have a chicken that is as tall as german shepard, you should be just fine on that :)

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been messing with a 27# Tidy Cat bucket as a potato bin. It was un-scented so it should work. First had 2 rows of 3/8" holes around the lower part. That didn't work, potatoes started to rot. Thot it was the red potatoes that gave me the trouble, and tried again with only russets - to the same end. Now I have 5 rows of 1/2" holes in it, but no potatoes. We'll see after next trip to the store.

I did make a few of them into first rate snake containers, for my herpetological adventures. They are nice in case I need to move a snake from a neighbor's garage, or find one out in the field and want to bring it home for photos/study. DW knows that when one is sitting in the kitchen - don't open it. This is doubly true if it has a RED duct tape tag on the top.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Toulle said:
I did make a few of them into first rate snake containers, for my herpetological adventures. They are nice in case I need to move a snake from a neighbor's garage, or find one out in the field and want to bring it home for photos/study. DW knows that when one is sitting in the kitchen - don't open it. This is doubly true if it has a RED duct tape tag on the top.
:lol: :gig

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Toulle said:
I've been messing with a 27# Tidy Cat bucket as a potato bin. It was un-scented so it should work. First had 2 rows of 3/8" holes around the lower part. That didn't work, potatoes started to rot. Thot it was the red potatoes that gave me the trouble, and tried again with only russets - to the same end. Now I have 5 rows of 1/2" holes in it, but no potatoes. We'll see after next trip to the store.

:ep Toulle, I'm beginning to think there's something seriously wrong with you. :lol:

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, I see what you mean. You'd think we could come up with some clever things to do with those heavy jugs...

I know someone who saves the used oil from his vehicles in one of those. He was pouring out some of the used oil from one of those jugs into a can to 'paint' on the bottom of some fence posts (or something - 4x4's ? Something with soil contact). At the time I was more interested in all the things he was doing with the old oil - He gave practically everything exposed to the weather a coat! It was a little mini farm, just a few of every kind of critter - all the ramps from duck, goose and chicken houses had a coat of oil, so did the floors, he said.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Toulle said:

:ep Toulle, I'm beginning to think there's something seriously wrong with you. :lol:
Well, maybe - but I don't know what I said that would make you think so. Doesn't everyone love a good snake-in-the-box?

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
Well, the tidy cat containers I use are more like a bottle, see here:

http://www.target.com/c/brand-shop-...cpng=vfessentials3&dfa=1&LMN=tidy_cats_litter

That is why I don't think my chickens will fit in it. When we used to buy the actual buckets we'd use them for all sorts of stuff but those thingies are a little bit more tricky. Too nice to throw away but what to do with them?
Ohhhhhh - those things. DW was looking at those in the store and I told her how DK (dear kitty) don't like that kind.

Seriously, we didn't get them to avoid exactly the problem you are having. We buy it sometimes in the buckets if it is on sale and find scads of uses for the buckets, or in bags.
The bags can be poured into the buckets for easy scooping, and two of them duct taped together make a bang-up rest for sighting in a rifle.

Another kind of kitty litter bucket, a 3 gallon square-ish one with a snap on lid, makes a very good food bucket for camping They aren't raccoon proof, though, without some mods.

Latest posts