Laundry soap...

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
How many of you use the powered version? I got all the ingredients, ($6.00 total after coupon) but I feel like I will mess up the liquid kind.
I use the powdered laundry soap and it works very well. I use two tablespoons per wash. Every once in awhile I throw in some Clorox 2 just to keep things from getting a little dull and I love it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am using the powdered. It might not be as cheap as the liquid, but it is working and is still about 1/3 the cost of cheap commercial laundry soap.

Now, if anyone can work out the recipe to Cascade complete, I will have it made. That stuff is $6 a bottle and the only thing that works in our hard water and with the amount of mess my family makes :p

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm using the powdered version and like it. Haven't had a chance to hang out on the line with it. Do I need fabric softener for that? I haven't had to even use softener or sheets in the dryer and the clothes come out nice and no static cling.

I've been using the borax/baking soda for the dishes but add a small amount of my regular dishwasher soap. Had to do that as without the soap, my dishes had a film on them, mostly the glasses.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I don't do very much laundry, since I live by myself, so I haven't needed to make this yet. But even the smallest container of laundry detergent cost $8.00 at the store!

And all the ingredients were on the top shelf of my laundry sections (a large Fred Meyer's) right in a row. Borax, laundry soda, fels naptha, right there!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Breconbcs,

Try putting some white vinegar in the wash. It will help soften your clothes and keep them from getting so crispy on the line.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Breconbcs,

Try putting some white vinegar in the wash. It will help soften your clothes and keep them from getting so crispy on the line.
Oh, great tip. I'll have to give it a try.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Breconbcs,

Thanks! As soon as the weather warms up again I will give it a try.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whoo Hooo, my first load of home made detergent just went in the wash. Nothing to crazy happening. When I opened my bucket the soap had jelled. So I can't be to far off. What a great feeling to save so much money!!!! :clap For those of you with the HE machines, how much do you use per load. The Duggar recipe said 1/4 C. Sound right? G

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haha, I just found a recipe for dishwasher detergent. It's equal parts washing soda and borax. There were some major warnings of possible white residue (mostly on newer machines, mine's 11 years old) but I tried it anyway. Turned out great! It was just 1 tablespoon soda and borax. Not heaping, in fact, a bit less than a whole tablespoon.

If I get both dishwashing AND laundry detergent out of my $6.00 worth of products, score!