Laundry soap...

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The dishwasher recipe just didn't work for me.

I use the laundry detergent dry. I have an HE machine and use 1 tablespoon for lightly soiled loads. 2 tablespoons for heavier. I have used 3 tablespoons for REALLY nasty farm clothes (think cow poo). I'm not sure how that translates for the liquid, but it is a significantly smaller amount that I ever used of store bought detergent.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Miss Thenorth, I put in vinegar just in case! From what I read, the white residue sometimes happens after you've been using the detergent for a while. So I thought I'd just stop it before it started, I hope.

Big Bertha, I really want to try the dry mix on my clothes, I just don't have enough dirty yet! And I read so many different (good and bad) comments about the dishwashing detergent, that I only mixed enough for one load, in case it didn't work. I hope it keeps working! :fl

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have an automatic dishwasher (I have to kick-start him sometimes :D ), so I have never tried this. It is from "Green Up Your Clean Up" by Jill Potvin Schoff.

Dishwasher Powder

1/4 c citric acid
1 1/2 c borax
15 drops essential oil (opt)

Put all ingredients in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Use about 1 tablespoon per load. Shake each time before using. If you particularly hard water, increase the amount you use with each load.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use the dishwashing soap recipe as an extender. I fill one hole with good ol' Cascade and fill the other with my powdered stuff. Seems to work out quite well and cut my dishwasher soap use in half so I guess that's a help but using just the powder wasn't cleaning quite good enough for me.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hoosier - those are dry ingredients for the dishwasher soap? right?

debiraymond

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
big bertha said:
The dishwasher recipe just didn't work for me.

I use the laundry detergent dry. I have an HE machine and use 1 tablespoon for lightly soiled loads. 2 tablespoons for heavier. I have used 3 tablespoons for REALLY nasty farm clothes (think cow poo). I'm not sure how that translates for the liquid, but it is a significantly smaller amount that I ever used of store bought detergent.
What recipe did you use for your HE machine? I have one too and am rather sick of spending $20 on special detergent... Thanks!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My washer is a front loader (HE), and I use the powedered version in mine. I use about 2 tbsp for a regular load, double for a dirty load. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have an he front loader. I started with a quarter cup and have moved up to half. I use the liquid recipe made with Zote. seems to be working well.. I have not ha a suds indicator or anything. Clothes seem clean enough.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
One of my SILs just emailed me last week that she made the homemade liquid laundry soap and the dry dishwasher soap.

The dishwasher soap left white streaks all over her dishes. So she ran the load a second time with just white vinegar and they cleared up.

She broke out in a rash with the laundry soap, and their dermatologist told them to stop using it. Weve never had problems with the laundry soap, so I dont know what she did - but this SIL is known hypochondriac.

Latest posts