Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ducks are busy today, making repeated trips around the yard, snagging Japanese beetles out of the air! Turning bugs into eggs, while engaged in lawn improvement. (aka free fertilizer) = ultimate conservational practices!
How long before you can eat em? Ducks that is.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today is an absolutely fantastic day, with perfect weather. Thermometer has not yet made it to 80*, and there is an off/on again gentle breeze. The ducks are out, marching in tandem, back and forth across the yard, snagging japanese beetles from the lawn. It's incredible to see them work!

I've been ripping and tearing in the garden. Tearing weeds away from one of front fence lines, then laying cardboard, and some stable litter. We've found a fellow in town who has goats and horse. He says (and based on the quality of the litter, I believe it) that he cleans his stalls twice/day. So, instead of him hauling his stuff to the town compost facility, and us going there to pick it up, we go straight to his place, and save him a trip. When we were at the compost facility last time, I was mortified to see how many rats were in that one pile. I don't think they would be attracted to the wood chips, so we'll probably continue to get wood chips now and then. But, I'm delighted to get this stable bedding straight from the source! we're getting about 10 contractor bags full/week. I'm also pruning and tying up tomato vines. Doing a modified basket weave against the cattle panel trellis. This will be the first year that I've been able to corral the tomatoes into some semblance of good behavior.

At a girl... First the mind has to make up it's mind, then the heart follows. It only took all my life to figure such a simple truth out. I'm never going back to "Mr. Grumpy Gills"

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Drake gave me some sass tonight when I went to put them to bed. He's never done that before. There have only been 3 eggs in their duck house the last 2 days. So... I wonder if one of the ladies is putting her eggs somewhere else???

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lovely. Had some rain last night, will get a bit more today. It's a bit cooler, not even up to 60*! I don't do heat well. But, weather changes give me massive head aches. So... I'm laying low for now, gonna take a few Ibuprophen, then go out in the rain for some fresh air. God's blessings are raining down on me!

Here's a group that you may have not met:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got another one :ep this one is a little older it's got very faint blotches. Hopefully that'll be it for cotton mouths this year (I Hope). Good idea to carry a pocket knife at all times, it's my favorite tool.
Screenshot_20210702-124153~2.png

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a good warning. Fear of soil contamination by sourcing compost/mulch/hay materials from other properties is the PRIMARY reason why I got chickens. Some of my tomatoes have funky leaves this year. But, they are growing thick and lush, and setting blossoms like crazy. So... I'm left scratching my noggin over it. But, I don't think my garden is contaminated.