Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate to use shavings for bedding b/c they take so long to break down. And, they are pricey. So... I'll try shavings in the nest, and continue with leaves and grass clippings on the floor.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to use pine straw, but it pokes you. It hurts when one gets you under a nail. Then I went to hay. I love how it smells, then all this aminopyralid crap started, so went back to shavings. My only problem with shavings is sometimes the eggs get "lost".

I put shavings in my coop and leaves out in the run. My new coop is a storage shed with wooden floor. I don't deep litter in there, just out in the run.
Pine straw is a winner. I absolutely love it! I've never had issues with it being "pokey". But, it's hard for me to source. When we collect bagged leaves in the fall, I cherish those bags of pine needles, and look for neighborhoods with big ol' pine trees!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL, pines is pretty much all we have out here, and the occasional juniper. I like pine straw in the pathways of my garden because when it's deep enough virtually NOTHING grows through it.
I must admit I really do miss walking pine forests in North Carolina. Pine needles so thick, like you said nothing grows through them. Plus the scent of being deep in a pine tree forest at sun rise, in a deer stand during late fall, is a pleasure I hope I never forget.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lovely. Had some rain last night, will get a bit more today. It's a bit cooler, not even up to 60*! I don't do heat well. But, weather changes give me massive head aches. So... I'm laying low for now, gonna take a few Ibuprophen, then go out in the rain for some fresh air. God's blessings are raining down on me!

Here's a group that you may have not met:
I also get headaches when the weather changes. Normally, when it goes from pleasant to hot and muggy.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's a good warning. Fear of soil contamination by sourcing compost/mulch/hay materials from other properties is the PRIMARY reason why I got chickens. Some of my tomatoes have funky leaves this year. But, they are growing thick and lush, and setting blossoms like crazy. So... I'm left scratching my noggin over it. But, I don't think my garden is contaminated.

I only use compost stuff from my own property, except for pine shavings used in the barn and chicken shed. I do things organically and won't take a chance. Happy Frog is all I use for potting soil also.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's nice to see My Wife and Daughter in Law out back of the pond picking black berries from the steep bank, that I don't feel comfortable bush hogging. I suppose that will become a "Natural Area", since I would like to avoid chemical herbicides, if at all possible.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This morning, I started cleaning the duck house. I'm piling all of their bedding on top of the hugel kulture mound. The, I started yanking out the tall weeds in front of that area. unfortunately, poison ivy is creeping in from the property line adjacent to that area. I want to tame it, and eventually plant raspberries there. But, can't plant raspberries until the poison ivy is eradicated. And, I'll not use herbicides. So... it's a challenging area, for sure.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So my Wife thought the two cotton mouth snakes came out from under the deck that is just built on the ground right out the back door. She was so convinced as a matter of fact, she had me convinced also. She said what if those were a mating pair and they laid eggs under the deck? 🤔 I said nah... But she kept talking about eggs and baby cotton mouths under the deck 🙄. Now granted my wife has been right about a lot of things in our marriage and I can get a hint...

So, I talked with my neighbor and told him about the two cotton mouths and my Wife all conserned about eggs or babies. He jumped on his tractor with forks and said let's go see. So we picked up the deck, while my wife watched from the back door inside the house, with the door locked 🙄.

Not a egg or baby snake or big snake in sight. My wife is happy now and that's what counts. I guess being chased by a cotton mouth kind of made her a little afraid. I asked her why she had the door locked? She said well someone would have to drive you guys to the hospital, if you got bit 😳

Happy Wife, Happy Life 😂

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Get ready folks. It's coming. Feds are mounting a door to door onslaught to push their covid jab. Hubby and I have already been called and rec/d letter from insurance carriers offering "a free, in home, wellness visit." Um. No thanks. Any such visits to my property will be considered trespass. How many ways must I say NO!!!! to an experimental, not FDA approved toxic gene therapy "treatment" for a manufactured disease that has a 99.6% cure rate?