NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw poor dear, that's intense. Yeah I don't know why, my dog is just neurotic. My parents use a thundershirt for their dog, they're really happy with it. He'll always need it but it helps him.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ben started his fears of the loud noises after my boys set off some tannerite on the land. Don't know if you've ever heard it but it's akin to setting off dynamite...VERY loud and rolling/echoing noise afterwards.

It was Southern by Choice who told me about these breeds being known for developing fear of thunder after neutering, so it must be a "thing"? I'd never heard it but I'm not inside the whole LGD community of breeders and don't study up on the breeds much.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well i'm not in the lgd community either so I don't know I just have never experienced it. and yes indeed I know what tannerite is. have red necked country boy friends that play with that stuff.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some tannerite sitting in my gun safe.... It's entertaining.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
forgot to answer your question about lgd's and birds of prey. I know you asked bay but i'm a busy body so I thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. yes my Anatolians all barked and chased big birds away from the barnyard and the chickens. any thing bigger than a bluejay was fair game. now JJ has taken up the torch and chases them away. she even keeps the blue heron away from my pond. and she isn't sure she trusts those jays much either. I believe ben was after the hawk because he knew it was up to no good. atta boy ben.

My Lucy dog was a LGD mix of some kind and she too would chase away any large birds from the land and they didn't have to be raptors. She would lunge up into the air at buzzards, crows, hawks, etc.

Jake was raised from a pup at her side but has no LGD in him and he never really caught onto that behavior, nor was he dog aggressive like she was, thus the need for Ben to arrive here to plug the holes in Jake's defense team. Jake is great for wild four legged preds but too friendly to strays and didn't react to aerial threats. Together they make a great team, though.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Also a good reason to move. That would never happen here, and I will never live in a place that could happen. Idiots. (By idiots I mean the court, not the owners)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have to agree with the court on this one, though not with the vocal cord cutting...I'd have made them decrease their number of dogs and attend dog training classes so they could learn how to manage their dogs more effectively.

No WAY should anyone have to put up with that for 10 yrs and no WAY anyone needs that many dogs to guard a handful of livestock on 3-4 acres in a suburban setting.