1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Smoothie Recipes - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Looking to move

Discussion in 'Family Life' started by CrealCritter, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Dec 6, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

She must really love you if you feel confident enough to drop a surprise like this on her! ;)

tortoise likes this.
  2. Dec 6, 2018
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Make sure you have a legal easement onto the property. Friend of mine bought a place and then the neighbor that let the previous owner cross their property wouldn't allow them to do so.

3. Dec 6, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

:lol:You guys really think he's moving to Alaska? I think not!

4. Dec 6, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Are all your kids grown and out of the house? That's not an adventure I'd want to take with children.

Does it sound like a major adventure - yes! Does it sound like an even bigger PIA - YES!

Where is the nearest medical facility and how do you get there in an emergency? Do you have cell service or any other means of communication besides smoke signals?

I know you've already thought about gardening there - but if the garden fails can you afford the flown in groceries?

Water?

sumi likes this.
  5. Dec 6, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

In my wildest dreams (nightmares? LOL) I could not do what you suggest you WANT to do. Maybe a month long vacay there would give you more insight? DW might feel that as an option -- uh, once she finds out about it. :caf

You need to move that "go see" trip up -- the suspense is KILLING me!! :lol: :barnie Does the seller still live in Alaska? This is like reading a book and wanting to skip to the last chapter!! :D

6. Dec 6, 2018
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

At one time, I would have loved to move to the "wilds".
    We spent every weekend of the summer up at our cabin on the lake while I was growing up. No electric, no running water. The pump was outside, the outhouse was down the hill. The lake was about 15 acres in size and wrapped around the point where the cabin sits. There was LP to run the stove, refrigerator and gas lights. There were 2 other cabins on the lake, but neither one of them was used very often, so mostly we had the 500 acres of mixed woods to ourselves.
    Now, I like living near a "big" city (100,000 people) but on my 25 acres on the edge of farm country. I like being able to run to the store for a loaf of bread, or a pizza.

7. Dec 6, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

:lol: ok some more information that I really shouldn't share but I will. The property is owned by my boss at work. He is getting ready to retire. His initial intentions were to retire and live on this property with his wife. This is the reason he built the log house 10 years ago. But life has a way of changing your plans... His wife is having medical issues and he told me he is getting up there in age and doesn't think he could handle the physical demands of this type of lifestyle now.

He does not live there now, nor has he ever lived there permently. He used it for hunting a few times a year. No one in his family is interested in purchasing the property. My boss really likes me and he's a great boss. So he's offering it to me for a song and a dance. With the stipulation that he can continue to hunt and stay in the house he built, a few times a year.

As a matter of fact he has told me several times over the years, that I'm free to hunt and stay in the house anytime I want. Like I said he's a great guy and I would have zero problems with him staying with us whenever he wants to. Heck we would enjoy the company.

That's the background, anyways...

sumi and Hinotori like this.
  8. Dec 6, 2018
    CrealCritter

I wouldn't place a bet if I we're you :)

sumi likes this.
  9. Dec 6, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Or, if the deal is that great, buy it and use it for a vacation home. That would give you an idea of how challenging it would be to live there full time. :hu

Hinotori, sumi and NH Homesteader like this.
  10. Dec 6, 2018
    CrealCritter

Little more about the property. I was told it's breath takingly beatuful. He said you can hike miles in any direction and not find evidence that a human has ever been there. Totally unmolested wilderness, with views of snow capped mountain peaks in the near distance, breathtaking.

He also told me meat would be a non issue, 1 bull moose, would feed me for a year, throw in a bear or carabo and fish from the lake or river for a change and your all set for meat. Water is also a non-issue, drink all you want right from the lake. He said he praticed 1 rule when he and his family hunted there. Pack out what you pack in, so the place is super clean no garbage or anything like that. He said I would need to build a food cash because it's definitely bear & wolf country.

Hinotori and sumi like this.