Looking to move

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I know they garden there BUT....depending on the area, they have really, really short season. Greenhouses a plus (must?). And Crealcritter is into a huge garden, long season. Could be a drastic change for him.

So -- CC -- what section of Alaska is this potential goldmine? :) From what little you mention -- sounds like you MUST be self sufficient to survive as I got the impression that access is limited. I know that snowmobiles are more valuable than cars in some areas, as in "necessity" for travel.

I like a challenge but, some things are not on my "bucket list". :D Do like to read about others though.

ETA: That's a beauty of a cabbage!!

Inerior Alaska about 50 miles west and a little north of Beaver Alaska population 80, in some place called Bettles population 13, where it's really cold and beatuful.

Screenshot_2018-12-04-12-51-12.png

Here the lodge I may be staying at if I can work out an agreement with the property owner.
http://bettleslodge.com/new/

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Inerior Alaska about 50 miles west and a little north of Beaver Alaska population 80, in some place called Bettles population 13, where it's really cold and beatuful.

Woooweee. I dropped out at COLD for more than a visit! :lol:

Actually, the pictures from the lodge site are beautiful and Alaska is that! Population of 13? Hmm, guess you could remember everyone's name. :D You have said you wanted to move into the woods with no one around...basically. This seems to fit the bill. I'm looking forward to pictures of the adventure.

I see the forest and mountains on the map. What is this parcel? Is it primarily wooded? Is there an electric source? The heat is probably wood, right? This will be an adventure, for sure. Certain you have researched average annual temps, weather, etc. Hunting & fishing should be good and Alaska does have some pretty strict regs, I understand -- so I have heard.

What general conditions do you anticipate weather wise? Is that river area in lodge pics nearby? They have snakes there? Figured it would be too cold.

I sure have questions! :lol: :hu

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, this sounds amazing! Can't wait to see how it's going to turn out :pop

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well... It seems we have tentatively reached price, terms and conditions of the property and mineral rights. So now I just need to go and see the property for myself. Which i promised to do by the end of February and then finalize everything, and sign on the dotted line and pay a big wad of cash. I guess i may need to pack some long johns hu?

Like I said no roads, no electricty, no running water, no gas heat, no nothing but a weathered in log home with a wood stove. Everything will have to be flown in.

I'm super excited to go and see the property with my own eyes and.meet my potential 13 new neighbors. If i like it which I already do and I can finalize everything with the owner. Do you think my wife will be surprised when I tell her that we are moving approximately 35 north of the artic circle or will she tell me bye, have fun? I haven't told her yet - it's a surprise :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woooweee. I dropped out at COLD for more than a visit! :lol:

Actually, the pictures from the lodge site are beautiful and Alaska is that! Population of 13? Hmm, guess you could remember everyone's name. :D You have said you wanted to move into the woods with no one around...basically. This seems to fit the bill. I'm looking forward to pictures of the adventure.

I see the forest and mountains on the map. What is this parcel? Is it primarily wooded? Is there an electric source? The heat is probably wood, right? This will be an adventure, for sure. Certain you have researched average annual temps, weather, etc. Hunting & fishing should be good and Alaska does have some pretty strict regs, I understand -- so I have heard.

What general conditions do you anticipate weather wise? Is that river area in lodge pics nearby? They have snakes there? Figured it would be too cold.

I sure have questions! :lol: :hu

I have a lot of those same questions myself. I need to plan for an adventurously cold trip to go and see the property first hand. The property is super cheap I need to understand why the owner is selling it so cheap.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't told her yet - it's a surprise :)

You are kidding me, right?????????????? :th :idunnoTruly???

property is super cheap I need to understand why the owner is selling it so cheap

Old freezers are pretty cheap on CL... :lol: While you are looking around, see if there are any claw marks on the cabin... and we'd ALL love to know why. Maybe he didn't tell his wife before buying? He probably spent a couple months there and changed his mind? Maybe, well we'd like to know also. Heck, I couldn't offer him more than $1. It's cold up there, Baby!!

ETA: FLOWN IN?? Is that the ONLY way in? Even n snow melted times? There are other towns in the general area...Coldfoot doesn't look toooooooo far. Of course, with no roads it's a long hike, snowmobile or dog sled ride. Expensive for everything with extreme transport....KaChing!

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know everyone wants more information and so do I :)

Best I can figure from Google maps this is the general area where the property is located. I did a terrain map in Google maps. Notice the only real path to bettles is via river. Snow machine in the winter, boat in the summer, spring & fall probably no good way to bettles but by plane because of partical freeze and or breakup. Remember Bettles has a population of 13. Owner told me it's in the back country and I don't think he is lying.

IMG_20181206_001323.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts