Looking to move

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You would freeze to death in Alaska! My friend lived there for a couple years, he loved it. Had to drive a snowmobile to work all winter.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, pretty much! I couldn't handle the dark winters personally.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How would you survive without your gardening????? :ep

Alaska wouldn't be a place I could live -- too cold for me. :D But that's just my personal comfort issue.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They garden in Alaska. It is a completely different set of rules though. There seems to be alot of information on the web to help.
I copied this image from this website: http://www.denaliseed.com/

web%20FbksOSCross.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've decided I won't move anywhere with grizzly bears, wolves or an active cougar population. Or tornadoes. Or venomous snakes.

I think I'm stuck in NH;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I know they garden there BUT....depending on the area, they have really, really short season. Greenhouses a plus (must?). And Crealcritter is into a huge garden, long season. Could be a drastic change for him.

So -- CC -- what section of Alaska is this potential goldmine? :) From what little you mention -- sounds like you MUST be self sufficient to survive as I got the impression that access is limited. I know that snowmobiles are more valuable than cars in some areas, as in "necessity" for travel.

I like a challenge but, some things are not on my "bucket list". :D Do like to read about others though.

ETA: That's a beauty of a cabbage!!