LovinLife- Happy New Year's all!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Why did I think it was domestic husband? That is just weird.

I highly suggest muscovy ducks for meat. We ordered 15 last spring and have a drake and two hens we are keeping over the winter. They are great! Very fun and also the meat was really good. They were our first home raised meat. They eat a lot of bugs too (mosquitos!)

We are still getting the goat thangy "down" so I'll let others tell you all about how cool they are, but we have dairy goats too.

This is a great forum for folks who are new to farming...I have gotten so much information and support and had fun at the same time. Welcome!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:welcome

I enjoy reading/posting here, this place helps me to keep up on projects and watching/learning what things other people are doing to live a more SS life. I also like doing my own things and learning what works...

Welcome!!!

PS what part of the U.S. are you from?

ETA U.S.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
:lol: So, are there also husbands who aren't domestic? :plbb

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't know WHY I thought that.....I'm really bad with knowing all those texting shortcut words.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oops sorry, we are in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Great town! Today we went to a local beef farm and bought some steaks for dinner. I've never had grass fed, free-range, non-hormone injected beef before. This should be a treat!

We also went and bought a baby pig today. I'm not sure of the breed because when I asked the lady said it has some Yorkshire and a couple other breeds....she's a pig mutt. I thought it would be best to hold it on the way home but boy that was a bad idea. She squealed so loud!! Then she pooped on me and fell asleep. We plan to use her to till the garden, grow her up nice and fat then have a pig roast! Wow sounds so harsh after holding her sleeping in my arms.....guess we'll see. :/

If DH means Domestic Husband then I would be his WW (Wild Wife). :D

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:

I highly suggest muscovy ducks for meat. We ordered 15 last spring and have a drake and two hens we are keeping over the winter. They are great! Very fun and also the meat was really good. They were our first home raised meat. They eat a lot of bugs too (mosquitos!)

We are still getting the goat thangy "down" so I'll let others tell you all about how cool they are, but we have dairy goats too.

This is a great forum for folks who are new to farming...I have gotten so much information and support and had fun at the same time. Welcome!
I first got interested in Muscovy Ducks from the article in Mother Earth News. However, the article says they need a coop? How do you have your Muscovies housed?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:welcome
Do the questions whenever, or never, just join in the fun!!
I'd love to hear more about your tortoise! I love them.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I have snow and cold temps, but I'm in a fairly mild winter climate. We get down to 10 degrees maybe at our very very worst.

I have a small coop for them, more like a shed with a hole in the side really, we call it the duck Taj Mahol with a grin because it is from 100 percent recycled materials, not pretty but cushy if you are a duck. We do not heat or light the coop however. They stay warm pretty well so insulation is not important.....they are already equipped with their own down jacket! :lol:
They often do not even go inside unless it snows except when I fill their food bowl. They don't necessarily need to swim either.....my pond is dried up for the winter and they just have a bucket to drink from for now.
They were not fun at the brooder stage was the only thing. We got ours in March and had to keep them indoors and that was TERRIBLE. Duck poo is really smelly and really wet! Once they are past the brooder stage it is much better. I plan on letting my ducks raise the ducklings next time around! But we got ours from JM Hatchery and are very pleased. Very nice birds to have around, very calm, and the meat was some of the best we ever ate. The ducks are rather reserved and get along with the rest of the barnyard really well. I love my scovys!