LovinLife- Happy New Year's all!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@ savingdogs- Thanks for the great info on Muscovies! I'm feeling much more cofident about getting some. We have a big pond with a pier, which I'm sure they would love to hang out on. Good tip on the duck poo too! :D I'll check out that JM Hatchery....when the weather warms.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
Oops sorry, we are in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Great town! Today we went to a local beef farm and bought some steaks for dinner. I've never had grass fed, free-range, non-hormone injected beef before. This should be a treat!

We also went and bought a baby pig today. I'm not sure of the breed because when I asked the lady said it has some Yorkshire and a couple other breeds....she's a pig mutt. I thought it would be best to hold it on the way home but boy that was a bad idea. She squealed so loud!! Then she pooped on me and fell asleep. We plan to use her to till the garden, grow her up nice and fat then have a pig roast! Wow sounds so harsh after holding her sleeping in my arms.....guess we'll see. :/

If DH means Domestic Husband then I would be his WW (Wild Wife). :D
Best steaks we've ever had!! http://www.windhavennaturalangusbeef.com/
If you're ever in the area.;)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
@ savingdogs- Thanks for the great info on Muscovies! I'm feeling much more cofident about getting some. We have a big pond with a pier, which I'm sure they would love to hang out on. Good tip on the duck poo too! :D I'll check out that JM Hatchery....when the weather warms.
We had never had anything like ducks before and we don't even have a real pond, so if we did okay, anyone can.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
:welcome
Do the questions whenever, or never, just join in the fun!!
I'd love to hear more about your tortoise! I love them.
We got the tortoise from a "Reptile Show", a friend of ours goes to them. It's a Sulcata Spur Thigh Tortoise and was only about as big an egg when we got him 2 years ago. Here's a picture of him in his yard with the guinea keets.

Last winter we were able to keep him inside but this year he's too big so I built him a house (kinda like a dog house). We put a heat light and a UV Light in it and he's been doing good (even with the weather getting down to the teens). He eats A LOT though. In the summer time I will attempt to sprout and grow weeds special for his enclosure.

IMG_2536.jpg

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday I went and got another Californian Rabbit. I have a 1-yr-old buck and wanted to get a doe to start breeding for meat. The man I got the rabbit from also gave me a dressed rabbit. We had rabbit stew last night. This was the first time I've had rabbit and I must say it was pretty good.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first foray into raising meat animals will be rabbits - can't wait! So tell me, can you compare the flavor of the rabbit to another meat? It's been years and years since I ate rabbit and that was wild, but I did like it.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've only had wild rabbit, too. It was in a soup just like chicken noodle except we added goat sausage instead of noodles (don't ask!). My friend double cooked it - first she pressure cooked the parts (bone-in) and then we pulled the meat off the bone and added the other ingredients. Cooked it all for another 45 min or so and it was mighty tasty. The only thing was that we couldn't get a full flavor of the rabbit because the goat sausage flavor took over everything.

Other than the flavor the consistancy was just like pheasant to me.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We chose rabbits to raise for meat because of the taste. I don't care for gamey or strong meat at all. I like mild meat and add the flavors myself. Rabbit is kind of like chicken, just shaped weird! lol It is leaner.

We enjoyed it very much and wanted to have it again. We are getting ready to breed our first kits in March! So we have just begun.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree tastes kinda like chicken (not to sound like a stereo-type). I dredged it in some curry and flour and pan fried it before adding it to the stew pot. I think next time I'm going to let it slow cook because it was a little chewy.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like I won't have a problem with rabbit. Really, I like just about anything (well, squirrel not so much), so I'm looking forward to raising my own meat. Most recipes I've seen are for slow-cooked stew-type meals.