LovinLife- Happy New Year's all!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lori! I'm with you! That's what I told DH this morning I said "honey get the gun 'cause if this pig gets out again I'm shootin' it!" He didn't think it was such a great idea. :/

So Attempt #3 was yet another fail. We have the ramp and the side panels ready to go but the stupid pig wouldn't go! We think the ramp is to short. She was REAL hungry this morning but couldn't get her hind parts to face the ramp so DH could put the bucket on her head and push her up the ramp. She doesn't want anything to do with the ramp. But we changed our appt with the butcher to next week. We will make a nice loooooonnnnnnnng ramp and bait it. I think when she's hungry she will walk right up it. Might have to push her ass in when she gets to the top of the ramp but nothing a good poke in the pig butt won't cure.

Thanks OFG for the pointers. We did have some plywood as "bumpers" but on Attempt #2 there was the smallest gap she slipped out of. On Attempt #4 we will build the long ramp and use larger plywood "bumpers". But I tell you what she is not turning her back on another ramp again! She made that perfectly clear this morning! Dang pig!!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go to your local farmer's market or to some farmers (best if you know them personally) and ask if they know someone who will come to the farm. Lean in and use a low voice in a conspiring manner. Say you aren't so concerned about what is legal, you just want someone who is skilled, quick, clean, and discreet.....and will take cash. This way of asking will get you names faster than you can.....get a live pig into a trash can! People are looking to make some $$$ and I'm sure you will find someone who doesn't dare advertise.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Man, I think I just decided I never want pigs! But your story is funny, OFG.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hee hee hee

you'll get that pig in there soon enough baby. and if all else fails you might be able to find someone who does "stock hauling" - it might be worth it just to get that pig to market.

and really - if you ever butchered anything you CAN home hog harvest. it took a lot of punching each other in the arm and double dog daring each other, but we did it ourselves for the first time last winter. the hardest part is the shootin' and heck, that turned out to be the easiest thing to do. Bourbon Red, Farm Mentor and Pig Butcher Extraordinare, wrote up these EXACT step by step directions. we used no other reference. it worked. whooot!

http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-hog-harvest-step-by-step.html

the only thing i'd be concerned about is not having a cold enough day.. but i know someone who had to do an emergency hog harvest just the other day.

and if it comes to it - depending on how far it is to the butcher.. um.. you could always do the kill at home and drive real fast. i dunno.. those are all my ideas.
;-)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, my. This is one of the reasons I will be vegetarian before trying to raise my own meat :lol: I also vote for having someone come to your house to do it! Might be easier all the way around for you AND the pig :gig Good luck! That is going to be some lovely pork this winter and every time you eat it you will look back and laugh.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
Oh, my. This is one of the reasons I will be vegetarian before trying to raise my own meat :lol: I also vote for having someone come to your house to do it! Might be easier all the way around for you AND the pig :gig Good luck! That is going to be some lovely pork this winter and every time you eat it you will look back and laugh.
I hope you're right. This pig is laughing at me right now!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Seriously, can't you get someone to come to you to do the deed? I have to say, this is the way to go! Nothing like a few pig halves hanging in your garage! I would go out and gaze longingly at them.....although you may want to have them professionally cut up, I found it far easier than I ever expected. Of course, we hacked it up....but who cares if a roast is pretty in the package or fits neatly into a named category (I like "mystery roast" myself), you have to chew it anyways! :p I have to say, I felt overwhelmingly WEALTHY when my dad and I were cutting up those pigs. Almost giddy. Can't wait.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You really should try my crazy pig harness idea.
A few years ago we loaded a meaner-than-snot run away Mini Stallion into the dog pound "large dog" compartment in his truck using one. TWO different occasions!!

When you have the animal basically captured - someone pulling and someone shoving - you can move mountains. ;) or even pigs! :p