Make-Your-Own mixes

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this site and so happy I found it! I have already gotten so many ideas for saving energy, making laundry soap (which I plan on doing tomorrow!)and recipes that I logged on 4 hours ago and am still on! :weee I am so thankful to have found it! You guys are all lifesavers!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
Hi! I am new to this site and so happy I found it! I have already gotten so many ideas for saving energy, making laundry soap (which I plan on doing tomorrow!)and recipes that I logged on 4 hours ago and am still on! :weee I am so thankful to have found it! You guys are all lifesavers!
:lol: That is how I felt when I found this wonderful site!! :welcome

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have something to share! I made a Homegrown Ham in the crock-pot the other night and we had it for supper, I made a gravy I would like to share with everyone, this was my own concoction, I took about a quart of the broth from the ham (I made plenty so I could have broth), added a cup of milk with three tablespoons of flour dissolved in it, salt and pepper, and then I added three heaping tablespoons of freeze dried coffee, brought this to a boil and simmered till it thickened, it was wonderful, rich,and delicious, my wife loved it too, I asked her if it was like the redeye gravy her mom made and she said no that hers was different, I think it was kinda like redeye gravy but I do not remember ever tasting redeye gravy before, my gramdma used to make coffee gravy with biscuits for breakfast sometimes but it was different from what I made. Any comments or suggestions are welcome, Lynn in Okla.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Greybear23 said:
Hi everyone, I have something to share! I made a Homegrown Ham in the crock-pot the other night and we had it for supper, I made a gravy I would like to share with everyone, this was my own concoction, I took about a quart of the broth from the ham (I made plenty so I could have broth), added a cup of milk with three tablespoons of flour dissolved in it, salt and pepper, and then I added three heaping tablespoons of freeze dried coffee, brought this to a boil and simmered till it thickened, it was wonderful, rich,and delicious, my wife loved it too, I asked her if it was like the redeye gravy her mom made and she said no that hers was different, I think it was kinda like redeye gravy but I do not remember ever tasting redeye gravy before, my gramdma used to make coffee gravy with biscuits for breakfast sometimes but it was different from what I made. Any comments or suggestions are welcome, Lynn in Okla.
That sounds so delicious and very southern!!! Yum!

Don't know if I ever welcomed you to SS, so here it goes: :welcome

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Tonight I made some fresh red potatoes and canned green beans with chopped onion and the last cup of leftover ham chopped up, salt and pepper, onion powder and a stick of margarine cut up, with water to almost cover, put all in the crock-pot and cooked for three hours, it was not quite done as I wanted so I poured it in a pot and boiled it on the stove for about thirty minutes, made a skillet full of home made cornbread and warmed up the leftover redeye gravy(?) and some suash casserole my mom made and sent home, fresh sliced cucumbers from the garden and WALLLLLAH!!!! Supper is on!!! Lynn in Okla.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How about this one?

Vanilla Pudding Mix
3 cups instant nonfat dry milk
4 cups granulated sugar
1 t salt
3 cups cornstarch
1 vanilla bean

Mix all. To use, stir the mix. Measure out cup into a saucepan. Add 2 cups milk and cook over low heat, stirring, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue stirring for 1 min, remove from heat, and pour into serving dishes.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I don't have vanilla beans though, assume I can use vanilla extract, say about a teaspoon? thanks, Lynn

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oops--I should have posted that :D Yeah, I don't have vanilla beans either but add 1 tsp vanilla when I reconstitute the mix. Enjoy :)