May as well start now

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been wanting one of those for my home. I should get busy with it before the city outlaws them or makes me purchase a building permit.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well the snow is here and it's such a bummer but on the bright side my cabbage, kale, and broccoli is already up. Seems like it was really fast but I do use bottom heat just to give them a jump. I'm starting my granddaughters Easter dresses this weekend so that will be fun. I love sewing and don't do it as much as I used to when my girls were home. The last dress I made was for middle DD's baby when she was baptized last September. It turned out beautiful (I had a wonderful teacher, mom). The fabric was a piece of scrap left over from my mothers wedding dress that she made in 1956. My mom passed away in 2005 at my daughters wedding (yes I know, I did the CPR) so this little dress was a wonderful present with a beautiful history to hand down to a great granddaughter. My mom would have been proud. I am really blessed to have been taught that skill by her, what a great memory.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh wow about your Mom passing at your daughter's wedding, what a day you must have had--all that joy and sorrow so mingled together, I can't imagine. :hugs

But what a wonderful legacy you put together in sewing the christening gown. :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can say the whole family was together in celebration and dancing so from my perspective at this point in time we should all be so lucky. It was a bittersweet day and she left a wonderful legacy. I will have to share some more about her sometime.
2787_206.jpg
My daughter wearing the original dress and grand daughter wearing dress I made form the same fabric. Windy day in Oklahoma so not the best pic.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We should all be so lucky, I know many families are not nearly so close, I am so fortunate that mine is. Joyful time spent with family is what it should all be about.

And I have a personal bias toward mid-century fashion and design, so I also love love love your Mom's dress! Lovely, simply lovely photo of your daughter and grand-daughter, despite the wind :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I won't wear dresses anymore cuz I can't stand how they look. IMO, they're ugly and not very feminine looking. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Deb, I won't wear dresses either anymore. Everything is either incredibly hoochified short short with the boobs hanging out, or just plain old uglier than a fresh plucked chicken butt :lol: If I could sew something halfway decent.....conservative yet flattering...i MIGHT do dresses again.. MAYBE! :p

I think that dress is very pretty, and that photo is beautiful, regardless of the wind! Cute grandnugget ya got there too ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't wear dresses, but I live in skirts--mostly knit like jersey, but also flowy rayon, about mid-calf length. When I leave the house I usually put on jeans or trousers, especially in the winter because they are warmer and more practical, but at home I'm most comfy in my skirts. :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks all she is a cutie. I rarely wear dresses but I do love them if I have a pair of control top pantyhose :th I am usually in slacks at work so a tasteful dress in the summer is hard to find. I will have to settle down and whip up something for myself someday soon. As soon as I get home I peel off the proper work attire and put on my yoga pants. Do I practice yoga? heck no I just love the stretch. Youngest DD forbid me from going public in them. She probably thought they were too close to PJ's and heaven knows half of the shoppers in this town wear PJ's to Walmart.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Folks wear their PJ's to Walmart here too.. :rolleyes: