Michigan

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Heya all, Living in Kentucky, now, moved here from Grand Rapids last year.

I wouldn't move back, either - the economy is going bad, no jobs, schools are failing,etc... I heard that people are leaving Michigan by the thousands every month. Most of my family still lives up there, my oldest son does. He'd love to move down here, but for now he has a job up there - not sure hw long that will last. I've told them all that when Michigan REALLY goes down, they can come live on my farm.

Michigan was nice in some ways, but I hate winter, and I hated beiong so regulated to death (and taxed to death) that I couldn't afford to live there.

I retired last year, and if I stayed in Michigan I would not have been able to. Down here, I can live way more cheaply than I ever could up there, and that is just in fees and taxes I would have to pay. Just my car registration and plates alone were costing me 150 bucks a year (two vehicles) - down here, 2 vehicles are 70 bucks total.

Don't get me started on property taxes in Michigan, LOL.

I didn't come here to trash Michigan, really, LOL sorry if it sounds like that. I just stopped in to say Heya, and I recognize those town names, <g>.

Biggest thing I miss since I moved is Hobby Lobby <g>. Nothing to do with frugality or simple living, I know, LOL but I'm still having withdrawls - nearest Hobby Lobby is a 2 hour drive away (one way).

Peace -
Meriah

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
farm_mom said:
Yes, Michigan has been known to churn out more than it's fair share of trouble makers!:cool:
Hmmm.... Dr. Kevorkian, Ted Nugent, Jeff Fieger, Timothy McVey.... shall I go on, LOL.

Although, I sort of like the first three... ;)

Peace -
Meriah

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
chiknmama said:
farm_mom said:
Yes, Michigan has been known to churn out more than it's fair share of trouble makers!:cool:
Hmmm.... Dr. Kevorkian, Ted Nugent, Jeff Fieger, Timothy McVey.... shall I go on, LOL.

Although, I sort of like the first three... ;)

Peace -
Meriah
:lol:

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi HeatherV, This is a shout out from Newberry up in the U.P. Yesterday, if it had dropped ten degrees it would have been snowing. Thats what it felt like anyways :/.

EDITED Because I noticed that I spelled your name wrong, sorry.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just moved to Michigan about a month and a half ago for jobs (as everyone else leaves Michigan for the same reason!), and am finding it pretty difficult to get used to. I'm in a small town kind of halfway between Kalamazoo and Ann Arbor. Just moved from Madison, Wisconsin, which had the negative of being very expensive and too city-fied for my tastes, but the positive of having hugely supportive communities, and the biggest farm market in the country, and fantastic ex-hippies with all sorts of knowledge and advice... and here I feel super isolated. I'm sure most of that is just getting used to a new spot. But still. Not a big fan of Michigan so far. Hopefully that will change!

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
I just moved to Michigan about a month and a half ago for jobs (as everyone else leaves Michigan for the same reason!), and am finding it pretty difficult to get used to. I'm in a small town kind of halfway between Kalamazoo and Ann Arbor. Just moved from Madison, Wisconsin, which had the negative of being very expensive and too city-fied for my tastes, but the positive of having hugely supportive communities, and the biggest farm market in the country, and fantastic ex-hippies with all sorts of knowledge and advice... and here I feel super isolated. I'm sure most of that is just getting used to a new spot. But still. Not a big fan of Michigan so far. Hopefully that will change!
Ann Arbor is one of the best places in the state for local-foodies and they're Farmers Market is well known too. Good Luck with finding your stride here and Welcome! :)

swampducks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
chiknmama said:
Michigan was nice in some ways, but I hate winter, and I hated beiong so regulated to death (and taxed to death) that I couldn't afford to live there.
Massachusetts is lots worse! lol I grew up there. I moved here after a lot of years in southern California and northern Virginia.

I moved to Michigan in 2000 with DH (he's from down river south of Detroit) . I love it. We're in the northeast lower peninsula just south of Alpena. Yeah it's cold and snowy but I'd rather have that than a drought or traffic, or riots, etc. We're retired so we don't have the job problem others have. Of course, if the economy keeps tanking who knows what will happen? :/

hildymarie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Surely there must be more Michiganders on this forum!!!
Michigan is the home of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.
At least it is up here in DA UP.
If you cant afford it, borrow it; you make it yourself or adapt something to use for it, you aint tried hard enough.
I love it up here.Over 32 years ago I was a troll and now I'm a transplant. DH is from here and wants to go down where you can garden and not freeze so much. Silly boy...we be yoopers.

:D

sundance creek

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
gotta love yoopers

I have traveled many times thru the UP and loved it..so beautiful and so much wildlife.. I now live on the cdn side about 2 hrs from sault.. still nice..just not the same.. pasties rule

Gord
ontario

edit the spelling