Michigan

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome Be glad that they've allowed you the 5! I know of people in this area that have way more land than you do that aren't allowed anything!

justcelia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was glad to hear Mdaison Heights passed a new law in favor of chickens. I forget how many allowed, but they gave the law 2 years to "see how it works". And same as here, no roosters allowed....

Celia

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Fowlerville here. Born and raised in Rochester, but the wife is from here so here we are. Heck she's related to probably 1/2 of the town and the rest she knows!:lol:

Anyway we're making some head way on being more self sustaining. Garden was expanded, dual purpose chickens are coming when our layers age out (tired of layers and cornish X combination) couple of dairy goats and rabbits are on the list. Its getting there. I couldnt imagine living anywhere else. Yes its tough to find work sometimes but I wouldnt trade this place for anything.

MastiffLady

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Howdy there. I'm in the Battle Creek area. We currently live on a good sized lot just outside town, but are looking for something more in the country and way bigger. Hubby says I can't have a cow in my back yard, it will freak out the neighbors!

Soap Junkie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
MastiffLady said:
Howdy there. I'm in the Battle Creek area. We currently live on a good sized lot just outside town, but are looking for something more in the country and way bigger. Hubby says I can't have a cow in my back yard, it will freak out the neighbors!
Ha! Thats exactly what my DH said! Hi all I live in Oxford Mi, just got my first chickens ever, they are almost 3 weeks old now and we are still finishing up the coop and run. We live on an acre. On our steet its divded up that on my side we are residential and across the street is farm land. Same road mind you, and I cant have chickens because they require 5 acres for any livestock and chickens are livestock. Well I want my own eggs darn it! So I figured I would bribe the few neighbors we have with some eggs and keep my fingers crossed. No Roo's for me, at least not yet will feel out the neighbors.

I asked my husband if he thought I could trick the neighbors into thinking that the cow (the one I want to get) was a lawn ornament??? He said no......:/

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am new to this board (Hi!), from Parma, MI. That's a SUPER FRIENDLY little town just outside Jackson, which is about dead center between Kalamazoo and Ann Arbor :D I have lived in TX & TN, but always come home eventually! Love the growing season down here in So. MI, we have a nice 3 acre parcel that it set up perfectly for solar (which is a nice way of says very few trees :)) surrounded by farm land. Great neighbors, friendly people, and we'll be moving soon! DH must work out of town & move frequently (but, at least he's working!) and we are 3 hours drive from any family here. On the up side, the area family lives is SO depressed, we were able to snag a house w/ 7.4 acres & pay cash for it, so our only issue will be selling this place when we go. We have 9 chicken ladies and 1 gentleman, all housed in 'the Cadillac of chicken coops' (according to our neighbor) that DH says will somehow be loaded onto a trailer and brought to our new home, Hmmm... We also have a medium sized SFG, small orchard, multi-berry patch, rhubarb patch and a large german shepard to watch over it all. Plan to go larger once we move, plus add a milk animal; although we are undecided on cow or goats. For now, we will buy a cow share. Homeschool our remaining son, first out of absolute necessity and now because we enjoy the flexibility and personal growth potential it provides, and it worked around his racing schedule quite well :) Ok, enough 'talking' - glad to have found this forum. It has so much useful info, great people asking the questions I have/actually answering those questions in thoughtful and helpful ways.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello from Muskegon!

I stumbled over this forum through backyard chickens. There seem to be a lot of interesting ideas out here. I live on a 14acre old dairy farm that we have converted into a horse farm. While the horses are currently lazy and not being used (due to the fact that I work countless hours and hubby is gone throughout the week) we do have a large flock of dual purpose chickens, gardens, an old orchard that I am working on rejuvenating, and bees. We live in a rural area within the city which is great. I don't know how much longer I will have my job so I am exploring different ways to save money/make goods/ sell goods I made, etc. I look forward to learning more from fellow members!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
Hello from Muskegon!

I stumbled over this forum through backyard chickens. There seem to be a lot of interesting ideas out here. I live on a 14acre old dairy farm that we have converted into a horse farm. While the horses are currently lazy and not being used (due to the fact that I work countless hours and hubby is gone throughout the week) we do have a large flock of dual purpose chickens, gardens, an old orchard that I am working on rejuvenating, and bees. We live in a rural area within the city which is great. I don't know how much longer I will have my job so I am exploring different ways to save money/make goods/ sell goods I made, etc. I look forward to learning more from fellow members!
OMG, that's where I was born & raised!!! I've never "met" anyone else on a forum who was from there!!! :D

:frow Welcome!!